Conquer Club

Gun facts

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Gun facts

Postby Neoteny on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:56 am

There has been a lot of hand-wringing over gun control legislation recently, and a criticism from the right has been that liberals do not know guns well enough to effectively legislate. As a gun owner and halfbreed redneck, I want to assume the mantle of educator so that we can all talk about gun rights from an illuminated perspective. Feel free to post your own facts too! I will of course be making corrections as necessary.

Starting off:

The "AR" in AR-15 stands for "assault rifle."

What is commonly called a "clip" is actually called a "cartridge."
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Re: Gun facts

Postby betiko on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:03 am

my uncle owns a guns collection and he's french. He often made us shoot in shooting stands with my cousins and we did enjoy it. I can understand that if for some of you it's always been like that you don't really need to give up on them.
How about allowing guns in rural environments but making it illegal to own guns in an urban environment, or carry guns, or buy/sell guns?
Major betiko

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:08 am

Mistakes right out of the starting gates.
Neoteny wrote:What is commonly called a "clip" is actually called a "cartridge."

What is commonly called a "clip" is actually known as a magazine.

A cartridge is the thing that goes in the magazine, an assembly consisting of the bullet + propellant + casing. Some people do incorrectly refer to a cartridge as a "bullet", which is incorrect because the bullet is just the business end of the cartridge. However, this mistake is not as common as it once was. In any case, what does it matter if people use the wrong name for something? I don't care if they call it a cartridge or a gooey-kablooie, as long as they understand what it does.

Neoteny wrote:The "AR" in AR-15 stands for "assault rifle."

Maybe it does, and maybe it doesn't. I don't know and I'm too lazy to look it up. However, regardless of what it pretends to be, and AR-15 is a carbine, not an assault rifle. An assault rifle, by definition, is a rifle capable of fully-automatic fire. An AR-15, which delivers only semi-automatic fire, is properly known as a "carbine". If you're going to pick nits about nomenclature, that is the one you should be going after.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby KoolBak on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:13 am

:lol:

Nice post N...lmao. Dukky, he's yankin yer chain...

I must be close to the top of the list of pseudo-redneck gun lovers / owners. And we all know that AR actually stands for Armalite Rifle after the company that intro'ed it in the 50s (60s?).

Surprised you haven't gotten more...interesting?....replies yet :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal 1st Class KoolBak

Postby patches70 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:17 am

The "AR" stands for Armalite Rifle. They are the one's who initially came up with the design and they sold the rights to Colt, who kept the "AR" designation. The "AR" is just a copyright logo basically.

It doesn't stand for "assault rifle" like the OP claims. The AR15 was first designated the "Armalite Rifle 15" or "AR15" for short. Way back in 1956, when the AR15 was first designed.
Private patches70

Postby patches70 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:17 am

Shit, kookbak beat me to the punch. Well done
Private patches70

Postby Thorthoth on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:23 am

More gnu facts:
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Neoteny on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:27 am

Guys, please take this important issue seriously.

A suppressor, in addition to silencing and eliminating muzzle flash, lengthens the barrel of a gun, increasing both accuracy and range.
Major Neoteny

Postby HitRed on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:28 am

Being from Texas having guns is as normal as milk in the refrigerator. We take care of them like family treasures.

HitRed
Captain HitRed

Postby HitRed on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:31 am

The Armalites are from Star Trek episode 63.
Captain HitRed

Postby Thorthoth on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:32 am

HitRed wrote:Being from Texas having guns is as normal as milk in the refrigerator. We take care of them like family treasures.

HitRed

Ha, you've been caught out. Cows don't keep milk in refrigerators. What an 'udderly' ridiculous notion.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby HitRed on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:38 am

Thorthoth wrote:
HitRed wrote:Being from Texas having guns is as normal as milk in the refrigerator. We take care of them like family treasures.

HitRed

Ha, you've been caught out. Cows don't keep milk in refrigerators. What an 'udderly' ridiculous notion.

=D> =D> =D>
Captain HitRed

Postby mrswdk on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:40 am

betiko wrote:my uncle owns a guns collection and he's french. He often made us shoot in shooting stands with my cousins and we did enjoy it. I can understand that if for some of you it's always been like that you don't really need to give up on them.
How about allowing guns in rural environments but making it illegal to own guns in an urban environment, or carry guns, or buy/sell guns?

Similar in the UK. Usually the only people who can get a license are those who need a gun for sport or work. The people who actually go shooting/hunting for sport, or who need a gun for work, pretty much all live in the countryside. So it ends up being that the only people who have guns are people in the countryside (or criminals).

My understanding is the US is never going to implement similar restrictions like you're suggesting because taking away Hank from HR's gun on the grounds that he doesn't need it will be viewed as the first step towards the US becoming an oppressive fascist state like Nazi Germany (where the police abuse everyone, not just black people).
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Thorthoth on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:42 am

mrswdk wrote:
betiko wrote:my uncle owns a guns collection and he's french. He often made us shoot in shooting stands with my cousins and we did enjoy it. I can understand that if for some of you it's always been like that you don't really need to give up on them.

Similar in the UK. Usually the only people who can get a license are those who need a gun for sport or work. The people who actually go shooting/hunting for sport, or who need a gun for work, pretty much all live in the countryside.

My understanding is the US is never going to implement similar restrictions like you're suggesting because taking away Hank from HR's gun on the grounds that he doesn't need it will be viewed as the first step towards the US becoming an oppressive fascist state like Nazi Germany (where the police abuse everyone, not just black people).

In the UK, only hoighty-toighty secret agents like 007 get Licenses to Kill.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Neoteny on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:21 pm

The loop around the trigger is there to provide additional support when carrying a gun. Always keep your finger through that loop to ensure you have a firm grip on the gun's handle. Safety first!
Major Neoteny

Postby tzor on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:24 pm

Neoteny wrote:The "AR" in AR-15 stands for "assault rifle."

*BUZZ* wrong answer, but thank's for playing. AR stands for the original maker of the "rifle" which was ArmaLite (as in ArmaLite Rifle). But it's even more stranger than that because when Colt took the rights, they also played loose with the trademarks. The current Colt AR-15 is more based on the M-16 than the original ArmaLite AR-15 (which was a fully automatic weapon by the way).
Cadet tzor

Postby mrswdk on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:24 pm

I thought it was Army Rifle?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby tzor on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:33 pm

Thorthoth wrote:Ha, you've been caught out. Cows don't keep milk in refrigerators. What an 'udderly' ridiculous notion.

Fun fact, cows need to be milked on a daily basis. Those udders aren't for long term storage of the product.

A cow that is under milked is susceptible to getting mastitis. This is a painful condition in which the udder becomes hot to the touch, is swollen and often takes on a reddish color. The udder becomes hardened as the cow's body releases white blood cells to fight off the infection. This process turns her formerly whitish and free-flowing milk to more of a cottage cheese consistency. Under milking can lead to mastitis because the warm liquid left in the udder is of the perfect temperature for bacteria to thrive. A cow's udder is vulnerable to bacteria after being milked because the end of the teat duct releasing the milk takes time to close.
Cadet tzor

Postby tzor on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:34 pm

mrswdk wrote:I thought it was Army Rifle?

The army generally uses the "M" designation (as in M-16)
Cadet tzor

Postby mrswdk on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:35 pm

tzor wrote:Fun fact, cows need to be milked on a daily basis.

That's just what farmers say.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Neoteny on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:50 pm

The "AK" in AK-47 stands for ArmaLite Kalashnikov.
Major Neoteny

Postby saxitoxin on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:51 pm

betiko wrote:How about allowing guns in rural environments but making it illegal to own guns in an urban environment, or carry guns, or buy/sell guns?

I think it would be rather expensive to build walls and checkpoints around all the cities to ensure no one was going from a rural area into an urban area with a firearm.

Unless you mean it should be on the honor system?
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby tzor on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:55 pm

Neoteny wrote:The "AK" in AK-47 stands for ArmaLite Kalashnikov.

The AK-47, or AK as it is officially known (Russian: Автома́т Кала́шникова, tr. Avtomát Kaláshnikova, lit. Kalashnikov's Automatic Rifle),

Generally the United States didn't name its weapons based on Russian names.
Mikhail Kalashnikov developed that rifle.
Cadet tzor

Postby mrswdk on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:08 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
betiko wrote:How about allowing guns in rural environments but making it illegal to own guns in an urban environment, or carry guns, or buy/sell guns?

I think it would be rather expensive to build walls and checkpoints around all the cities to ensure no one was going from a rural area into an urban area with a firearm.

Exactly. Also this is why shops should serve alcohol to whomever they please, regardless of age or gender.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby saxitoxin on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:20 pm

mrswdk wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

Exactly. Also this is why shops should serve alcohol to whomever they please, regardless of age or gender.

If that were the case you wouldn't have much success inviting the kids from the local junior high school back to your flat, would you?
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,