Conquer Club

Hollywood rewards a mass murderer, Winston Churchill

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Hollywood rewards a mass murderer, Winston Churchill

Postby waauw on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:16 am

British hypocrisy at its best.

“History,” Winston Churchill said, “will be kind to me, for I intend to write it myself.” He needn’t have bothered. He was one of the great mass murderers of the 20th century, yet is the only one, unlike Hitler and Stalin, to have escaped historical odium in the West. He has been crowned with a Nobel Prize (for literature, no less), and now, an actor portraying him (Gary Oldman) has been awarded an Oscar.

...Churchill’s beatification as an apostle of freedom seems all the more preposterous given his 1941 declaration that the Atlantic Charter’s principles would not apply to India and the colored colonies. He refused to see people of color as entitled to the same rights as himself. “Gandhi-ism and all it stands for,” he declared, “will, sooner or later, have to be grappled with and finally crushed.”

In such matters, Churchill was the most reactionary of Englishmen, with views so extreme they cannot be excused as being reflective of their times. Even his own secretary of state for India, Leopold Amery, confessed that he could see very little difference between Churchill’s attitude and Adolf Hitler’s.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2018/03/10/in-winston-churchill-hollywood-rewards-a-mass-murderer/?utm_term=.bff556a16a61
Lieutenant waauw

Re: Hollywood rewards a mass murderer, Winston Churchill

Postby mrswdk on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:22 am

Nice one Sym.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby HitRed on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:19 am

First, most people will see through this so I'm not too worried.

In the hindsight of history you can make anyone look stupid.

Didn't Columbus know all the Indians would die?
Couldn't Chamberlin see Hitler was evil?
Why were lead toys given to kids?
Why didn't Hilary campaign harder?

I wouldn't be too hard on him. Who did he kill again, nazis and italian fascists?
Captain HitRed

Postby waauw on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:31 am

HitRed wrote:I wouldn't be too hard on him. Who did he kill again, nazis and italian fascists?

Indians, kenyans, afghans, etc. Basically everybody who wasn't white.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby 2dimes on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:39 am

10/10 so far, this thread delivers!
Corporal 2dimes

Postby HitRed on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:44 am

all people had a right to self-determination; Atlantic Charter

I still don't see where he murdered millions like Stalin.
Captain HitRed

Postby Bernie Sanders on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:01 am

Blame the Belgium education system, not Waaaaaaaauuuuuuw!
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:51 am

All the smart people of history agree. Racism and xenophobia may be disgusting, but there is nothing better. That's the thing about Global domination, it really is a zero-sum game.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:21 pm

I went on the self-guided audio tour of the Churchill Bunker at (near?) Whitehall once. In part of the audio tour, when you pass by the small arms lockers, the narrator says something like "if German troops had attacked the bunker, Churchill would have grabbed a weapon and joined the garrison in defending the bunker."

This wasn't presented as an historical "what if?" scenario but as an open-and-shut matter of established fact.

Now, when I complained about this to a friend - I said that this turned the whole bunker tour from a museum into a weird patriotic carnival ride - they pointed out that in 1911 Latvian revolutionaries attacked central London and gunned down a bunch of unarmed British police using automatic weapons, whereupon Churchill apparently took personal command of a platoon of Scots Guards to respond to the attack and was photographed ...

THAT SAID, in 1940, Churchill would have been a corpulent 65 year-old so I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have just got in the way had he actually decided to take part in defending the bunker instead of withdrawing.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Also, from Wikipedia, the U.S. Government had to buy an entire house just because Churchill didn't have good manners ...

Beginning in 1942, the Blair family began leasing the property to the U.S. government for use by visiting dignitaries; the government purchased the property outright the following December. The move was prompted in part by a request from Eleanor Roosevelt, who found the casual familiarity Winston Churchill displayed during his visits to the White House off-putting. On one occasion, Churchill tried to enter Franklin Roosevelt's private apartments at 3:00 a.m. to wake the president for a conversation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President%27s_Guest_House
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby The ram on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:00 pm

waauw wrote:British hypocrisy at its best.

“History,” Winston Churchill said, “will be kind to me, for I intend to write it myself.” He needn’t have bothered. He was one of the great mass murderers of the 20th century, yet is the only one, unlike Hitler and Stalin, to have escaped historical odium in the West. He has been crowned with a Nobel Prize (for literature, no less), and now, an actor portraying him (Gary Oldman) has been awarded an Oscar.

...Churchill’s beatification as an apostle of freedom seems all the more preposterous given his 1941 declaration that the Atlantic Charter’s principles would not apply to India and the colored colonies. He refused to see people of color as entitled to the same rights as himself. “Gandhi-ism and all it stands for,” he declared, “will, sooner or later, have to be grappled with and finally crushed.”

In such matters, Churchill was the most reactionary of Englishmen, with views so extreme they cannot be excused as being reflective of their times. Even his own secretary of state for India, Leopold Amery, confessed that he could see very little difference between Churchill’s attitude and Adolf Hitler’s.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2018/03/10/in-winston-churchill-hollywood-rewards-a-mass-murderer/?utm_term=.bff556a16a61

Have you seen Angela Merkel dancing? They'd have made a film about her if it wasn't for her awkwardness.
Cadet The ram

Postby Bernie Sanders on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:19 am

The ram wrote:
waauw wrote:British hypocrisy at its best.

Have you seen Angela Merkel dancing? They'd have made a film about her if it wasn't for her awkwardness.

I saw our very Presidential Trump do a penguin dance yesterday in Pennsylvania.
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby mrswdk on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:39 am

Did Churchill rape any slaves? Think that's the question we really need to nail.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Thorthoth on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:37 pm

mrswdk wrote:Nice one Sym.

mr. swdk is just mad at waauw for butting in on his troll-thread territory.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby mrswdk on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:48 pm

Sir Winston Churchill has been named the greatest Briton of all time in a nationwide poll attracting more than a million votes.

Participants in the survey voted the second World War leader top of the list of the country's 100 most significant individuals, with 447,423 votes.

Former Northern Ireland Secretary Dr Mo Mowlam put the case for Churchill in the last of six BBC documentaries this week, provoking a late surge of support for him.

Summarising her argument, she said: "If Britain - its eccentricity, its big heartedness, its strength of character - has to be summed up in one person, it has to be Winston Churchill."

Proceeds from phone votes will fund a permanent memorial to Churchill at a venue yet to be decided.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2509465.stm
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Thorthoth on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:00 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Sir Winston Churchill has been named the greatest Briton of all time in a nationwide poll attracting more than a million votes.

Participants in the survey voted the second World War leader top of the list of the country's 100 most significant individuals, with 447,423 votes.

Former Northern Ireland Secretary Dr Mo Mowlam put the case for Churchill in the last of six BBC documentaries this week, provoking a late surge of support for him.

Summarising her argument, she said: "If Britain - its eccentricity, its big heartedness, its strength of character - has to be summed up in one person, it has to be Winston Churchill."

Proceeds from phone votes will fund a permanent memorial to Churchill at a venue yet to be decided.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2509465.stm

Now swdk is pretending the whole thread was his idea.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Neoteny on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Man, a lot of respect for a guy who borrowed the gulag from the Soviets.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby Thorthoth on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Neoteny wrote:Man, a lot of respect for a guy who borrowed the gulag from the Soviets.

Are you actually reading this troll tread, neoteny? :lol:
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Neoteny on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:50 pm

I don't even know the meaning of that phrase.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,