Conquer Club

Movie trailers that are better than the movie

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Movie trailers that are better than the movie

Postby Symmetry on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Seen a good trailer? Seen the movie? Was the trailer better than the movie? If yes, then you're in the right place:

The Matrix Reloaded:
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Movie trailers that are better than the movie

Postby betiko on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:12 pm

I guesstimate 92,14% of trailers are better than the movies. How often does a movie live up to it's trailer's expectations?

If someone manages to make a shit trailer from a great film... that person is probably working for something else by now.

Bad trailers good films, that's the hard one
Major betiko

Postby Symmetry on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:48 pm

betiko wrote:I guesstimate 92,14% of trailers are better than the movies. How often does a movie live up to it's trailer's expectations?

If someone manages to make a shit trailer from a great film... that person is probably working for something else by now.

Bad trailers good films, that's the hard one

There are at least a couple of absolutely great films that got let down by their trailers. In Bruges comes to mind- great film that the trailers didn't know how to market.

Anyway, as you didn't post anything:

the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby HitRed on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:58 pm

Congo - defiantly the most painful movie I ever attended. Totally embarrassed I ever fell for the advertising. In short, apes with laser guns.

In the book apes were trained to smash human skulls with a pair of large stone disks. As a plot led this was cool. Add in satellites, deep jungle, ancient culture, endless treasure...and yep...apes with laser guns (in the movie)...and you should have a real show stopper. The director killed the slow reveal of the book and with it any plot building mystery. The choice of Egyptians in the jungle added nothing to the plot. Each character was straight out of the can. Did I mention a valcano with perfect timing? I suggest 1000 milligrams of Advil and lots of beer to help get you through it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6nj5G4Gff ... i4o-Jdf7Jg
Last edited by HitRed on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain HitRed

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:26 pm

Long ago they made a movie based on the song "Convoy". I don't know if there was a trailer, but a friend told me it was great. He described three scenes in the movie. My other half at the time was a fan of Kris Kristofferson who starred in it, so we went to see it. The only three moments of even passing interest were the spoilers the guy told me about. One of the dullest visits to the cinema in my entire life.

Actually I just saw the trailer. Cant seem to link it. It is, frankly, duller than the movie, though thankfully shorter.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby HitRed on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:41 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:Long ago they made a movie based on the song "Convoy". I don't know if there was a trailer, but a friend told me it was great. He described three scenes in the movie. My other half at the time was a fan of Kris Kristofferson who starred in it, so we went to see it. The only three moments of even passing interest were the spoilers the guy told me about. One of the dullest visits to the cinema in my entire life.

Actually I just saw the trailer. Cant seem to link it. It is, frankly, duller than the movie, though thankfully shorter.

I loved that song. Not the movie.

"Breaker 1-9"
Captain HitRed

Postby Symmetry on Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:46 am

HitRed wrote:Congo - defiantly the most painful movie I ever attended. Totally embarrassed I ever fell for the advertising. In short, apes with laser guns.

In the book apes were trained to smash human skulls with a pair of large stone disks. As a plot led this was cool. Add in satellites, deep jungle, ancient culture, endless treasure...and yep...apes with laser guns (in the movie)...and you should have a real show stopper. The director killed the slow reveal of the book and with it any plot building mystery. The choice of Egyptians in the jungle added nothing to the plot. Each character was straight out of the can. Did I mention a valcano with perfect timing? I suggest 1000 milligrams of Advil and lots of beer to help get you through it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6nj5G4Gff ... i4o-Jdf7Jg

Good call- saw that one on a birthday. It was cashing in on being another Michael Crichton adaptation after Jurassic Park. At least Tim Curry clearly had some fun with it, I guess- Ernie Hudson too. It was really no Jurassic Park.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby betiko on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:54 am

jonesthecurl wrote:Long ago they made a movie based on the song "Convoy". I don't know if there was a trailer, but a friend told me it was great. He described three scenes in the movie. My other half at the time was a fan of Kris Kristofferson who starred in it, so we went to see it. The only three moments of even passing interest were the spoilers the guy told me about. One of the dullest visits to the cinema in my entire life.

I thought the song was based on the movie not the other way around...

I was also surprised to learn that "singing in the rain" was based on the song... not the other way around.
Major betiko

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:35 am

betiko wrote:

I thought the song was based on the movie not the other way around...

I was also surprised to learn that "singing in the rain" was based on the song... not the other way around.

Earth Girls Are Easy, too, apparently. I'm not sure that making songs into films really works, although it seems a good number of them are just Christmas films for kids:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_based_on_songs

Anyway, Convoy (1978) directed by Sam Peckinpah
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:44 pm

A trailer that does not live up to the movie:

Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,