Conquer Club

Need Tech Advice

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Need Tech Advice

Postby 2dimes on Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:41 pm

Why would you feel bad. He is excellent at creating plausible scenarios that cause perfectly intelligent folks such as yourself to respond.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:20 pm

KoolBak wrote:So saxo....was any of that useful at all?

Yes I think so. Thank you!

The problem is I don't think you or Nietzsche understand my plan. I want to use an external drive for daily use in lieu of the computer's hard drive, not as a backup system. I already back up to the cloud and do an annual backup of static files to archival gold DVDs as well as a different external drive I keep in a safe deposit box 25 miles from where I live (the neighborhood where I live will be 90% destroyed in an earthquake and I'm also in the airburst blast radius of a probable military target). So I'm 1000% set as far as backups go. Running two external drives for daily use isn't a great solution because then all the files I access daily will be randomly split between two locations.

However, I think I'm satisfied that ext drive failure is a low enough probability now that I feel safe in moving ahead with this plan.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:29 pm

saxitoxin wrote:

The problem is I don't think you or Nietzsche understand my plan. I want to use an external drive for daily use in lieu of the computer's hard drive, not as a backup system. I already back up to the cloud and do an annual backup of static files to archival gold DVDs as well as a different external drive I keep in a safe deposit box 25 miles from where I live (the neighborhood where I live will be 90% destroyed in an earthquake and I'm also in the airburst blast radius of a probable military target). So I'm 1000% set as far as backups go. Running two external drives for daily use isn't a great solution because then all the files I access daily will be randomly split between two locations.

However, I think I'm satisfied that ext drive failure is a low enough probability now that I feel safe in moving ahead with this plan.

So your problem is the first external can't actively backup to a second external when you aren't there (because neither will be actively plugged into a computer when you aren't home)?
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:40 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

So your problem is the first external can't actively backup to a second external when you aren't there (because neither will be actively plugged into a computer when you aren't home)?

GUYS I'm not asking about file redundancy. I'm set there. I'm more backed up than AoGs asshole five minutes after he gets roofied by mrswdk.

I'm asking about day to day use!
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby 2dimes on Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:43 pm

Have you watched Mile 22?

I'm checking it out right now. It has an actress I like a bit in it.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby 2dimes on Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:18 pm

Some of the actors are quite good also. Oops, I'm assigning gender. My bad.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby KoolBak on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:32 am

Thanks Saxerino...I thot we were talking as real people until dimebag fooked me with his canadian paranoid negativity :lol:

You are correct - I did not understand that it was for daily use. Glad you're cool now but I'm gonna run that by my brother too. Gives more shit to discuss over beers....lol
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby nietzsche on Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:29 am

saxitoxin wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

GUYS I'm not asking about file redundancy. I'm set there. I'm more backed up than AoGs asshole five minutes after he gets roofied by mrswdk.

I'm asking about day to day use!

then two usb flash drives, encrypted. i don't think 256gb isn't enough for data. just point your /home directory there (in mac or linux) or the user directories in case of windows (you know, the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, those directories, the path can be changed to go to another location.

here's how to set up raid 1 both in windows and linux.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-set-up-r ... and-linux/

but stop being paranoid and use just 1 quality usb flash drive. change it every two years.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby betiko on Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:58 am

saxitoxin wrote:

this guy is planning a terrorist attack, I'd call nancy.
Major betiko

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:24 pm

nietzsche wrote:
then two usb flash drives, encrypted. i don't think 256gb isn't enough for data. just point your /home directory there (in mac or linux) or the user directories in case of windows (you know, the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, those directories, the path can be changed to go to another location.

here's how to set up raid 1 both in windows and linux.

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-set-up-r ... and-linux/

I went with this option.

+10,000 New-Era Saxbucks for nietzshce
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby GoranZ on Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:00 pm

saxitoxin wrote:I need to get a new laptop, however, I'm always concerned about losing it with all my data on it. I back everything up, and keep some stuff in Dropbox, but I don't want my stuff falling into the wrong hands. So I would like to start using an external hard drive for all non-program files and then just keep the external hard drive at home. However, my understanding is that a Flash drive is not safe for consistent and ongoing use repeatedly, daily, over time. IS THERE ANY SOLUTION?

Don't use flash drive, its horrible idea, they are not reliable for sensitive data.
Since your data is important to you you should use NAS(Network Attached Storage). Tho I haven't read the previous replies so this might have been mentioned before...
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
Brigadier GoranZ

Postby marek44 on Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:52 am

External hard drives are a good solution for storing your data safely and securely. They are more durable than flash drives and can handle more writes without failing. You can also choose an external hard drive with encryption to keep your data safe from unauthorized access.

Tips for using an external hard drive safely and securely:

Keep it in a safe place.
Back up your data regularly.
Use encryption.
Use a strong password.
Keep your encryption software up to date.
Be careful about what you plug your external hard drive into.
By following these tips, you can use an external hard drive to safely and securely store your data.

Also, can anyone recommend defect management software? I'm considering this one [Mod edit (dk): spam link deleted.], but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
New Recruit marek44

Postby 2dimes on Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:23 am

Thanks merek44.

How do you like the maps here at Conquer Club?

Note to mods. I exposed and altered the link in this partial quote.
Possible AI spambot marek44 wrote:long winded fakery...

...I'm considering this one (you can see it [ url=https://bogus_spamlink.calm/en/blog/defect-management-software]here), but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Pack Rat on Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:21 pm

I would advise that the link/above be deleted.
Last edited by Pack Rat on Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Pack Rat

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:42 pm

Pack Rat wrote:
marek44 wrote:External hard drives are a good solution for storing your data safely and securely. They are more durable than flash drives and can handle more writes without failing. You can also choose an external hard drive with encryption to keep your data safe from unauthorized access.

Tips for using an external hard drive safely and securely:

Keep it in a safe place.
Back up your data regularly.
Use encryption.
Use a strong password.
Keep your encryption software up to date.
Be careful about what you plug your external hard drive into.
By following these tips, you can use an external hard drive to safely and securely store your data.

Also, can anyone recommend defect management software? I'm considering this one ([Mod edit (dk): spam link deleted.]but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

I would advise that the link/above be deleted.

You could help by not including it in your quote. That way I only have to edit one post instead of two.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby KoolBak on Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:17 pm

:lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,