Conquer Club

Losing count

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Losing count

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:16 am

How many Speaker candidates have come and gone in the last few weeks?
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: Losing count

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:46 am

Dukasaur wrote:How many Speaker candidates have come and gone in the last few weeks?

Three, as of today; #4 is up for election.

#3 lasted for 4 hours and then withdrew (I think yesterday) before a vote on the House floor.
JP4Fun

Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Postby Votanic on Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:21 am

In this modern age, does the House even still need a speaker? Surely, an ai bot could administer the rules of order with greater efficiency..
Captain Votanic

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:28 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:How many Speaker candidates have come and gone in the last few weeks?

#3 lasted for 4 hours and then withdrew (I think yesterday) before a vote on the House floor.

5 if you count Hakim Jeffries
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby saxitoxin on Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:05 pm

JAMES MICHAEL JOHNSON IS THE 119TH SPEAKER OF THE UNITED STATES HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES !

And the Government shall be upon his shoulders! And his name shall be called WONDERFUL! COUNSELOR!

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby saxitoxin on Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:23 pm

Now let's get to work and get busy shutting this government down!
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Votanic on Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:47 pm

Well, well, from 'nevah-heard-of-'im' to now only a couple heartbeats away from becoming the third President Johnson.

The Republicans must have been cognescent of the fact that the previous two Johnsons became President following assassinations...

Every little bit of symbolism is gloves-off brutal in 2023, isn't it?
Captain Votanic

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:35 pm

saxitoxin wrote:JAMES MICHAEL JOHNSON IS THE 119TH SPEAKER OF THE UNITED STATES HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES !

And the Government shall be upon his shoulders! And his name shall be called WONDERFUL! COUNSELOR!

edited for accuracy
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:48 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:

5 if you count Hakim Jeffries

Seriously, there is LITTLE chance that will happen with the (very slim) Republican majority.
JP4Fun

Postby GaryDenton on Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:14 pm

He kept pretty quiet on the national stage but locals know his extremism. He actively tried to keep homosexuality illegal. Election denialism, anti-abortion extremism, Biden conspiracy theories, there is no far-right cause he hasn't embraced.

In editorials that ran in his local Shreveport, Louisiana, paper, The Times, Johnson called homosexuality a “inherently unnatural” and “dangerous lifestyle” that would lead to legalized pedophilia and possibly even destroy “the entire democratic system.”

During a House Judiciary Committee hearing, Rep. Mike Johnson attacks Roe v. Wade, insisting that if only women were compelled to bring more "able-bodied workers" into the world, Republicans wouldn’t need to slash Social Security and Medicare.

Democrats are already happily pinning the new speaker’s abortion absolutism on the backs of the entire party as a messaging strategy against vulnerable Republicans heading into 2024.

As DCCC Chair Suzan DelBene said, “there are no moderates left on the Republican side.”
Private GaryDenton

Postby GaryDenton on Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:23 pm

Wow, being vocally anti-gay in Shreveport, he couldn't have been invited to many parties.
Private GaryDenton

Postby jusplay4fun on Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:51 am

Votanic wrote:Well, well, from 'nevah-heard-of-'im' to now only a couple heartbeats away from becoming the third President Johnson.

The Republicans must have been cognescent of the fact that the previous two Johnsons became President following assassinations...

First: I think the word Votanic wants here is cognizant, not "cognescent"

cognizant
: knowledgeable of something especially through personal experience
also : MINDFUL
cognizant of the potential dangers

Showing results for cognisant (or cognizant)
Search instead for cognescent

Also:
Postby saxitoxin on Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:23 pm

Now let's get to work and get busy shutting this government down

Leave it to saxi to put the positive extremist spin on things. Well Done :( :cry: :roll:

The new Speaker of the House will have LOTS to do in a short period time, mostly budget things. He will need help.
JP4Fun

Postby Votanic on Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:44 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:
Votanic wrote:Well, well, from 'nevah-heard-of-'im' to now only a couple heartbeats away from becoming the third President Johnson.

First: I think the word Votanic wants here is cognizant, not "cognescent"[/quote]

Cool. I'm always willing to admit my mistakes.
I was getting confused with 'cognoscenti', which means 'people knowledgeable in a particular subject' (clearly not me...).

Oh, btw, there's a 't' in the word 'just'.
Last edited by Votanic on Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Votanic

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:26 pm

GaryDenton wrote:Wow, being vocally anti-gay in Shreveport, he couldn't have been invited to many parties.

Does Shreveport have a reputation as the West Hollywood of the South or something?

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:34 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
GaryDenton wrote:Wow, being vocally anti-gay in Shreveport, he couldn't have been invited to many parties.

Does Shreveport have a reputation as the West Hollywood of the South or something?

In my limited experience Shreveport is a weird mix. Really diverse, super cheap housing/cost of living, great nightlife, not super safe. alot of music and festivals and artistic types, and some old money super duper stuffy religious types that totally fits the new speakers 'mold' (the type that doesnt get invited to parties, and wouldn't enjoy them when they are invited).

It feels more like Arkansas than it does Louisiana... kinda like how some towns in eastern oregon tried to be part of idaho.

Maybe Gary sees it differently but that's just how it's come off to me during my visits
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:03 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

In my limited experience Shreveport is a weird mix. Really diverse, super cheap housing/cost of living, great nightlife, not super safe. alot of music and festivals and artistic types, and some old money super duper stuffy religious types that totally fits the new speakers 'mold' (the type that doesnt get invited to parties, and wouldn't enjoy them when they are invited).

It feels more like Arkansas than it does Louisiana... kinda like how some towns in eastern oregon tried to be part of idaho.

Maybe Gary sees it differently but that's just how it's come off to me during my visits

I've been to Shreveport once for two days. I've never met someone who has taken multiple visits there. Are you into alligators or something?
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Votanic on Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:13 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:...Shreveport is a weird mix.

Let's start calling it, Shreweirdport!

mookiemcgee wrote:...not super safe.

That is such a classic euphemism. One of my all-time faves.
Captain Votanic

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:40 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

I've been to Shreveport once for two days. I've never met someone who has taken multiple visits there. Are you into alligators or something?

Works brings me through there once every 2-3 years. I was there for 1 day last year, and the time before was like 2018 or 19. Usually if I have a work week in LA it's along the 10. I've spend a good amount of time between Baton Rouge and Lake Charles. Lafayette is probably the worst place to go as a pure tourist, but now it's one of my favorite places to go because I have local friends who know where to go. I honestly love LA, could never live there but these are some of the best work trips. Gas station fried chicken is the best.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:38 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

Works brings me through there once every 2-3 years. I was there for 1 day last year, and the time before was like 2018 or 19. Usually if I have a work week in LA it's along the 10. I've spend a good amount of time between Baton Rouge and Lake Charles. Lafayette is probably the worst place to go as a pure tourist, but now it's one of my favorite places to go because I have local friends who know where to go. I honestly love LA, could never live there but these are some of the best work trips. Gas station fried chicken is the best.

So do you work as a professional alligator wrestler or as a French teacher?
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:46 pm

I think these Louisianans are speaking English but I'm not 100% sure.

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:46 pm

I'm barely cognizant.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:18 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

So do you work as a professional alligator wrestler or as a French teacher?

You are sooooo close. I raise French bulldogs to be used as live alligator feed.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby GaryDenton on Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:05 am

Yes, Shreveport has a gay reputation but it also has its Baptist crowd.

https://www.shreveport-bossier.org/articles/post/pride-month-celebrations-in-shreveport-bossier/
Private GaryDenton

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:17 am

Votanic wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:

First: I think the word Votanic wants here is cognizant, not "cognescent"

Cool. I'm always willing to admit my mistakes.
I was getting confused with 'cognoscenti', which means 'people knowledgeable in a particular subject' (clearly not me...).

Oh, btw, there's a 't' in the word 'just'.[/quote]

BTW: My omission of “t” is intentional and not a mistake.
JP4Fun

Postby Votanic on Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:45 pm

saxitoxin wrote:I think these Louisianans are speaking English but I'm not 100% sure.

That's crazy.

Actually, I do remember standing right next to alligators in the swamps in louisiana (and Florida)... but it was Winter and they were pretty lethargic.
I certainly wouldn't be swinging my arms near its open jaws while it's swimming in the water.

I had a pet kingsnake and he was friendly and docile as snake's go, but even he would snap at my fingers.
He probably thought they were pinky mice for his next meal... The point is 'accidents happen' and when they happen with full-grown crocodilians, ...it's bad.
Captain Votanic

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,