Conquer Club

My turn!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

My turn!

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:36 am

Finally got Covid.

Day 1: Thought I had a cold.
Day 2: Thought I had a mild flu.
Day 3: Thought I had a serious flu. Lungs starting to hurt. Mid-afternoon, wife phoned me at work to say she'd been exposed to Covid. Starting to put two and two together, got a Covid test. Positive. Goddamn. Phoned my boss. He told me I could go home if I wanted, but you could hear the sorrow in his voice. I know damn well there's literally nobody to replace me. One supervisor on a scheduled vacation, another supervisor went home early because his wife is in the hospital in serious condition. That leaves me. So we worked out that I can keep working as long as I stay in my truck and only communicate to the crew through their phones.
Day 4: Very glad it's not a work day. Slept until 0730. Feels like someone is stuffing Mycenean short swords through my windpipe. "Look at me, I'm Paris of Troy!" But I didn't even get to f*ck Helen. I get up, watch a comedy show. Don't find it funny. At all. Wife made herself a quesadilla, took one bite and decided she can't eat, so I get a quesadilla out of the deal. Some people totally lose their appetite when they're sick. Never happened to me.
Come up to my office, log in to CC. You people aren't funny either, but I gotta admit: Saxi's little Wizard of Oz video cheered me up just a little bit.
On Wednesday (which was Day 1, to those that don't feel like counting backwards from 4) I was supposed to go out for dinner with my daughter and her boyfriend. I jammed out because I felt crappy. At the time, I was feeling super guilty, but in retrospect, I'm really glad! They're going on a foreign vacation next week. If I had met with them, might have fucked it up for them totally.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: My turn!

Postby Lonous on Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:01 am

Duk sorry you are going through covid, its not fun.
My wife and I both went through it at the very onset back in 2020.
I caught it from her, and she caught it from work.
Her case was more severe than mine, and she needed some medical attention.
She started to have trouble breathing, but adamantly refused to be ventilated. Which in hindsight was a smart move.
Around 50 or so people in her department died.

If you think you need help, don't hesitate.
But by day 4 I would say you are past the worst of it, at least from what I have experienced and seen of it.
Hopefully you don't have any long term effects like sense of taste and such.

Get well mate
Major Lonous

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:17 am

Thanks, man. Appreciate it.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby riskllama on Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:41 am

Lieutenant riskllama

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:41 pm

I got it again when I returned from the UK. Luckily it didn't hit until I got home, else I'd have had to miss my fkight and stay isolated in the dull hotel room at great expense for days. Main effect for me is being super-tired - that lasted two weeks this time.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby saxitoxin on Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:56 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Saxi's little Wizard of Oz video cheered me up just a little bit.

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby saxitoxin on Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:01 pm

Get well, Duk!

I didn't take Vitamin D as I don't have a D deficiency, however, if you do or you don't know if you do, I would add that to the supplementation, particularly in Canada in late October.

In any case, I did all of the above and ...

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Votanic on Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:39 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Feels like someone is stuffing Mycenean short swords through my windpipe. "Look at me, I'm Paris of Troy!" But I didn't even get to f*ck Helen.

It seems being strangely specific can also be contagious.
See, now I have to look this up... and, at least according to the lliad, Paris dies from an arrow wound.
So what's with the short swords* reference?

*Though I do at least understand why they would be Mycenean.
Lieutenant Votanic

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:42 am

Votanic wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Feels like someone is stuffing Mycenean short swords through my windpipe. "Look at me, I'm Paris of Troy!" But I didn't even get to f*ck Helen.

It seems being strangely specific can also be contagious.
See, now I have to look this up... and, at least according to the lliad, Paris dies from an arrow wound.
So what's with the short swords* reference?

*Though I do at least understand why they would be Mycenean.

Yeah, I guess Paris got the arrow. I don't remember now who got the short sword through the windpipe. Doesn't matter, maybe I was banging Helen while Paris wasn't looking?

saxitoxin wrote:Get well, Duk!

I didn't take Vitamin D as I don't have a D deficiency, however, if you do or you don't know if you do, I would add that to the supplementation, particularly in Canada in late October.

In any case, I did all of the above and ...

Thanks.

Yes, I already take Vitamin D did from the fall equinox to the spring equinox. (And double-dose when I'm on night shift.)

The benefit of aspirin, if it exists, is probably because it's a blood thinner. I'm already on prescription blood thinners so that should cover that base.

Green tea definitely on my list when I'm sick.

I'm skeptical of Vitamin C superdose claims, but I'll try it.

Lonous wrote:Duk sorry you are going through covid, its not fun.
My wife and I both went through it at the very onset back in 2020.
I caught it from her, and she caught it from work.
Her case was more severe than mine, and she needed some medical attention.
She started to have trouble breathing, but adamantly refused to be ventilated. Which in hindsight was a smart move.
Around 50 or so people in her department died.

If you think you need help, don't hesitate.
But by day 4 I would say you are past the worst of it, at least from what I have experienced and seen of it.
Hopefully you don't have any long term effects like sense of taste and such.

Get well mate

Yeah, Day 5 and I'm pretty confident that the worst is over. Yesterday was hard, today is much better.

Wife is in a similar state, but also agrees that the worst is over.

My aunt had Covid last year, lost her sense of taste. So far that doesn't seem to be a problem, although there is a weird burning along the sides of my tongue that does worry me a bit.

Glad you got through it. 50 co-workers, though! That must have been brutal.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,