Conquer Club

Ali: a champion for justice

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Ali: a champion for justice

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:07 am

Back when I was atheist, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Christopher Hitchens and Co. Really persuaded me. It was when I started seeing all the holes in their arguments that I could take Christianity seriously as a body of thought.

Somebody else made the jump:
https://unherd.com/2023/11/why-i-am-now-a-christian/
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Re: Ali: a champion for justice

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:21 am

DoomYoshi wrote:Back when I was atheist, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Christopher Hitchens and Co. Really persuaded me. It was when I started seeing all the holes in their arguments that I could take Christianity seriously as a body of thought.

The article is quite good. Here is for me a key excerpt from it:

To me, this freedom of conscience and speech is perhaps the greatest benefit of Western civilisation. It does not come naturally to man. It is the product of centuries of debate within Jewish and Christian communities. It was these debates that advanced science and reason, diminished cruelty, suppressed superstitions, and built institutions to order and protect life, while guaranteeing freedom to as many people as possible. Unlike Islam, Christianity outgrew its dogmatic stage. It became increasingly clear that Christ’s teaching implied not only a circumscribed role for religion as something separate from politics. It also implied compassion for the sinner and humility for the believer.
JP4Fun

Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:14 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Back when I was atheist, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Christopher Hitchens and Co. Really persuaded me. It was when I started seeing all the holes in their arguments that I could take Christianity seriously as a body of thought.

Her argument is nonsensical.

Basically, she's saying that the retreat of Christianity left a power vacuum that more evil religions like Islam have exploited. But the difference in evil between Islam and Christianity is only a difference of degree, not of kind. Either way, they want humans to abandon reason and surrender their fate to imaginary ghosts. What difference does it make if you grovel before Jehovah or Allah? Either way, you're still giving up your moral power to make decisions in your life based on reason.

She claims we can't defend western civilization without invoking Christianity, but as you can see, I'm quite capable of defending western civilization without falling back on a deity to summon.

jusplay4fun wrote:The article is quite good. Here is for me a key excerpt from it:

To me, this freedom of conscience and speech is perhaps the greatest benefit of Western civilisation. It does not come naturally to man. It is the product of centuries of debate within Jewish and Christian communities. It was these debates that advanced science and reason, diminished cruelty, suppressed superstitions, and built institutions to order and protect life, while guaranteeing freedom to as many people as possible. Unlike Islam, Christianity outgrew its dogmatic stage. It became increasingly clear that Christ’s teaching implied not only a circumscribed role for religion as something separate from politics. It also implied compassion for the sinner and humility for the believer.

Except that isn't true. The debates among Christian and Jewish scholars may have included some seeds of reason. I won't deny that. There were thinkers like Thomas Aquinas and later Descartes who laid out some basic rational thoughts despite being devout Christians.

True defense of the freedom of conscience didn't come about until the Enlightenment, with thinkers like David Hume who were atheists in all but name, and of course Voltaire and John Stuart Mill and Jeremy Bentham, who abandoned even the pretense of religion.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Votanic on Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:56 pm

What brand do you smoke now?

Why don't switch to the cig with more flavor and less tar?

Btw, do you enhale deeply (actually believe the stuff) or just let the smoke sit in your mouth (play along for the temporal power and social control)?
Captain Votanic

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,