Conquer Club

Risk copyright

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Risk copyright

Postby daddy1gringo on Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:50 pm

Hi, I used to play and discuss here on CC years ago, just checking it out again. Got a Question. Used to be the creator of this site (what was his screen name again?) couldn't mention "Risk" because he was involved in a kind of cat-and-mouse game with the owner of the game (Hasbro?) over patent/copyright issues. It looks like that has been resolved. Can someone fill me in?
The right answer to the wrong question is still the wrong answer to the real question.
Lieutenant daddy1gringo

Location: Connecticut yankee expatriated in Houston, Texas area, by way of Isabela, NW PR

Re: Risk copyright

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:57 pm

daddy1gringo wrote:Hi, I used to play and discuss here on CC years ago, just checking it out again. Got a Question. Used to be the creator of this site (what was his screen name again?) couldn't mention "Risk" because he was involved in a kind of cat-and-mouse game with the owner of the game (Hasbro?) over patent/copyright issues. It looks like that has been resolved. Can someone fill me in?

I don't think there was every any formal resolution.

For a while there was a big panic to erase all mentions of Risk from the website in preparation for the threatened lawsuit from Hasbro. By around 2015 it was obvious that no lawsuit was coming, and people just stopped worrying about it.

I think as CC shrunk, and continues to shrink, the cost/benefit analysis for anyone to waste time suing us has swung in our favour.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:38 am

I petition to re-brand the site to Steamboat Willy, Disney is always down for a lawsuit and media attention might bring some fresh blood.

Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby 2dimes on Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:52 am

That's Plane Crazy.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby ConfederateSS on Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:27 am

daddy1gringo wrote:Hi, I used to play and discuss here on CC years ago, just checking it out again. Got a Question. Used to be the creator of this site (what was his screen name again?) couldn't mention "Risk" because he was involved in a kind of cat-and-mouse game with the owner of the game (Hasbro?) over patent/copyright issues. It looks like that has been resolved. Can someone fill me in?

---------I believe his name was "Lackattack"...Yes, I miss how the site got around...R.I.S.K...The site had Classic Shapes and Classic Art maps, instead of the R.I.S.K. map....Then/now with no lawsuits...The site moved closer with Classic Map...Same as R.I.S.K...but with City names for the territories... Although the switch freaked me out, I was looking through my games, where the hell is Art and Shapes???...Then I realized the switch...It is sad , We had to lose Art and Shapes though....I wish there was some way to bring them back...... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)
Corporal 1st Class ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby Votanic on Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:43 pm

ConfederateSS wrote:

---------I believe his name was "Lackattack"...Yes, I miss how the site got around...R.I.S.K...The site had Classic Shapes and Classic Art maps, instead of the R.I.S.K. map....Then/now with no lawsuits...The site moved closer with Classic Map...Same as R.I.S.K...but with City names for the territories... Although the switch freaked me out, I was looking through my games, where the hell is Art and Shapes???...Then I realized the switch...It is sad , We had to lose Art and Shapes though....I wish there was some way to bring them back...... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)

I want to see the 'Classic Art' and 'Classic Shape' maps. Can't somebody at least post pics of them?
Captain Votanic

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:14 pm

f*ck it, call it "Mickeys Board of Mouses." That should do the trick
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:29 pm

DirtyDishSoap wrote:f*ck it, call it "Mickeys Board of Mouses." That should do the trick

LFG!!!

Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Votanic on Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:26 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:I petition to re-brand the site to Steamboat Willy, Disney is always down for a lawsuit and media attention might bring some fresh blood.

This sounds like just another joke-post. That is, until one remembers...
The Awesome Power of Media Attention!

A success de scandal Law Suit could be just what it takes to put CC on the map. (pun intended).

Another media-pandering idea to explore would be celebrity guest-hosts!!!

For example, why not publicly invite Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce to spend their honeymoon on Conquer Club with a free 'his and hers' membership!The fact that they have not even hinted about any upcoming nuptial is so completely beside-the-point.

CC rules! Risk® sucks! Conquer Club is so completely better and more original than Risk®, that Risk® probably just stole CC's idea with the use of an ilicitedly hotwired time-machine! (Just trying to help.)
Captain Votanic

Postby ConfederateSS on Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:01 pm

Votanic wrote:
ConfederateSS wrote:

I want to see the 'Classic Art' and 'Classic Shape' maps. Can't somebody at least post pics of them?

-----No, that is the problem...
-------- In your past played games...They changed to the Classic Map... Totally gone...Now, I don't know if the programming had to be that way...You wouldn't think so...Since Classic Art and Classic Shapes were the same...So why would The Classic map matter...They took your Art and Shapes games away in your past History, replaced them with The Classic Map....WHY???...To avoid a law suit with the Conquer Club members who created them... ;) ...There are 2 maps more than listed in the Amount of Conquer Club Maps......LET CLASSIC ART and CLASSIC SHAPES LIVE again in C.C.LAND... =D> =D> =D>
... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)
Corporal 1st Class ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:57 am

Votanic wrote:
ConfederateSS wrote:

There might be some, somewhere in the Foundry archive. I know I don't have time to go searching, but if you can spare the time, check it out.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby KoolBak on Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:03 pm

He's a great guy. Heard from him several years ago...he was doing well. Miss him.....
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby Votanic on Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:49 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Votanic wrote:
ConfederateSS wrote:

There might be some, somewhere in the Foundry archive. I know I don't have time to go searching, but if you can spare the time, check it out.

Did a Forum search on the map names. Found a few earlier references but images.
Of course, that means nothing. I've been told that Forum archives and search are also permanently damaged or incomplete.
Captain Votanic

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,