Conquer Club

Finally, some good news!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Finally, some good news!

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:46 pm

https://jalopnik.com/cars-without-real-buttons-arent-safe-enough-to-receive-1851307984
We’re all familiar with the slow takeover of the touchscreen in our cars. First they came for controls like media and air conditioning. Then, with Tesla’s revamp of the interior, touchscreens gradually took on more and more control of our cars. Now, however, buttons may be on the edge of a comeback after new safety rules were outlined in Europe.

Across the pond, regulators are proposing new rules that would mandate the use of physical buttons for certain in-car controls in order for cars to receive the top safety rating available, according to a new report from Hagarty. The requirements would stipulate that essential functions like indicators, hazard warning lights, windscreen wipers, horn and SOS features must be accessed through real buttons in order for cars to be granted Euro NCAP’s five star safety rating.

For people who can't stand touchscreen horseshit, this is vindication!
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: Finally, some good news!

Postby Lonous on Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:54 pm

Indeed a step in the right direction.
Also critically car related, D.C. votes this week on whether or not to mandate that a 'kill switch' be installed in all cars going forward.
I'm vehemently against them and hope this fails hard, but unfortunately it will be a close vote at best.
Major Lonous

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:02 pm

Lonous wrote:Indeed a step in the right direction.
Also critically car related, D.C. votes this week on whether or not to mandate that a 'kill switch' be installed in all cars going forward.
I'm vehemently against them and hope this fails hard, but unfortunately it will be a close vote at best.

Agree, it's getting out of hand with cars. I travel for work alot and always try to get a different brand/make rental car each time and way too many are trying to take over steering when i change lanes without signaling. I recently had a car slam on the brakes without me stepping off the gas because it sensed a collision when there was no other cars or obstructions on road anywhere around me. Scared the shit out of me and could have caused me to crash. The idea that some computer or big brother can just switch my car off and not let me use it is a bridge too far.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Lonous on Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:14 pm

Absolutely Mook.
My concern is that every technology out there eventually gets hacked.
Combine that with the very real numbers of missing persons, abductions, women getting assaulted and it quickly becomes scary.
I'll make sure my wife and daughters are driving cars without a kill switch as long as possible.
Major Lonous

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:00 pm

Never understood touchscreens. Why would you want to smudge up a screen with all sorts of bullshit? That breaks?!
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,