Conquer Club

Why football?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Why football?

Postby FiveThreeEight on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:24 pm

Why do they call American football "football?" The game really doesn't have anything to do with your feet unless you're kicking off or kicking a field goal or extra point. Or punting, I guess. They should call it... hell, I don't know. Throwball? Runball?

And why the hell would Americans name European football "soccer." What does that really mean anyway?
Corporal 1st Class FiveThreeEight

Postby Bouncer on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:55 pm

the name football is derived from the sport of rugby football - which has a lot more similarities to american football than it does to association football.

soccer is most probably a european term - either a shortening of the word association or from the latin for shoes - succos
--- Death or Bounce ---
Lieutenant Bouncer

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:00 pm

Bouncer wrote:the name football is derived from the sport of rugby football - which has a lot more similarities to american football than it does to association football.

soccer is most probably a european term - either a shortening of the word association or from the latin for shoes - succos
Things that you learn while on CC. :D
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby FiveThreeEight on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:15 pm

I love it. You learn something new everyday.

Re: Why football?

Postby strike wolf on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:40 pm

FiveThreeEight wrote:Why do they call American football "football?" The game really doesn't have anything to do with your feet unless you're kicking off or kicking a field goal or extra point. Or punting, I guess. They should call it... hell, I don't know. Throwball? Runball?

And why the hell would Americans name European football "soccer." What does that really mean anyway?

A lot of Americans actually ask the same question. It's just better to smile and nod.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby FiveThreeEight on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:42 pm

And why is that?

Postby GreecePwns on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Because Americans are never wrong. Yeah, ok. Just look at the leader of the free world...nuculer!
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby strike wolf on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:36 pm

FiveThreeEight wrote:And why is that?

because you'd rather not know than have a bunch of smartasses tell you how ignorant you are until you just want to punch them.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby FiveThreeEight on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:03 pm

The fact that America as a whole calls American football "football" and European football "soccer" doesn't make ME ignorant. So I say bring the truth. I would love to hear it.

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:24 pm

FiveThreeEight wrote:The fact that America as a whole calls American football "football" and European football "soccer" doesn't make ME ignorant. So I say bring the truth. I would love to hear it.
I wondered about that a few times when I used to play soccer, but, I decided just to leave it.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby Som General on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:31 pm

as a football player I will say I also wonder why It's called football
I think whoever said that it's because it evolved from rugby is right because american football is rugby with a bunch of rule changes but the same Idea of a game
however I would say Kicking Is Very Important to american football as It determines feild position.
I write my verses in the bathroom so i know there the shit
-keak

WALNUT, We run it ova the 200, throw it up

Salami Fighting Association -- Why not?
Sergeant 1st Class Som General

Postby misterman10 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:33 pm

Som General wrote:as a football player I will say I also wonder why It's called football
I think whoever said that it's because it evolved from rugby is right because american football is rugby with a bunch of rule changes but the same Idea of a game
however I would say Kicking Is Very Important to american football as It determines feild position.

and using your feet in soccer is nowhere near as important as kicking in football :roll:
Pleasant Chaps still suck cock.

Yakuza power.
Major misterman10

Re: Why football?

Postby Fircoal on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:35 pm

FiveThreeEight wrote:Why do they call American football "football?" The game really doesn't have anything to do with your feet unless you're kicking off or kicking a field goal or extra point. Or punting, I guess. They should call it... hell, I don't know. Throwball? Runball?

IT's because we are idiots. ;)
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby dustn64 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:41 pm

GreecePwns wrote:Americans are never wrong.

I FIXED WHAT WAS SAID AND MADE IT TRUE
Sergeant 1st Class dustn64

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:41 pm

Fircoal wrote:IT's because we are idiots.

Uh, I guess you didn't read this then (look down)

Bouncer wrote:the name football is derived from the sport of rugby football - which has a lot more similarities to american football than it does to association football.

"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby Fircoal on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:47 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:

I did, but it still doesn't change the fact. ;) :lol:
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:49 pm

Fircoal wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:

It just explained the origin, so don't disregard it so easily. :wink:
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby Fircoal on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:57 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:
Fircoal wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:

so?
Captain Fircoal

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:01 pm

Fircoal wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:
Fircoal wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:

so?
It contradicts your point. :roll:
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,