Conquer Club

Impossible Riddle part 2

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Impossible Riddle part 2

Postby unriggable on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:17 pm

A professor tells her assistant that she dined with three people last night. She also tells him that the sum of the three people's ages is twice the secretary's own age and that the product of the three people's ages is 2,450. Then, she asks him to tell her the ages of the three people. After a while, the assistant tells the professor that he doesn't have enough information to solve the problem. She agrees and adds that she is older than all three people with whom she dined. The assistant, who knows her age, promptly gives the professor the correct ages. The question is: What are the ages of all five people in this story?
Cook unriggable

Postby MeDeFe on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:28 pm

The professor dined with her husband and kids, aged 35, 10 and 7. The assistant is 26.

I'm not sure if it's possible to say exactly how old the professor is, but definitely over 35. 36 maybe?
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Norse on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:33 pm

5, 10, 49, 32 and prof is 50 or above
b.k. barunt wrote:Snorri's like one of those fufu dogs who get all excited and dance around pissing on themself.

suggs wrote:scared off by all the pervs and wankers already? No? Then let me introduce myself, I'm Mr Pervy Wank.
Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby Norse on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:35 pm

Something tells me that you have missed something out from the question unrigg.....

there are a few possible answers here.
b.k. barunt wrote:Snorri's like one of those fufu dogs who get all excited and dance around pissing on themself.

suggs wrote:scared off by all the pervs and wankers already? No? Then let me introduce myself, I'm Mr Pervy Wank.
Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby Titanic on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:38 pm

MeDeFe wrote:The professor dined with her husband and kids, aged 35, 10 and 7. The assistant is 26.

I'm not sure if it's possible to say exactly how old the professor is, but definitely over 35. 36 maybe?

The assisstant is older then the 3 people the professor dined with, therefore husband cant be 35 whilst assisstant is 26.
Major Titanic

Postby Norse on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:40 pm

It states in the question that the proffesor says she is older than all she dined with (ie...she...the woman...herself)

Looks like another case of misleading questions, poor grammar.

Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby unriggable on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Norse wrote:It states in the question that the proffesor says she is older than all she dined with (ie...she...the woman...herself)

The professor is a woman, the assistant's gender is never stated. Hope that helps.
Cook unriggable

Postby Titanic on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:44 pm

unriggable wrote:
Norse wrote:It states in the question that the proffesor says she is older than all she dined with (ie...she...the woman...herself)

The professor is a woman, the assistant's gender is never stated. Hope that helps.

Isn the assisstant a male? You clearly say he a few times.
Major Titanic

Postby unriggable on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Titanic wrote:
unriggable wrote:

Oh yeah. Sorry.
Cook unriggable

Postby Norse on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Titanic wrote:
unriggable wrote:

Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby unriggable on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:47 pm

Norse wrote:
Titanic wrote:
unriggable wrote:

Oh yeah. Sorry.
Cook unriggable

Postby unriggable on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:49 pm

A jail consists of 100 cells in a line, all starting out closed. The warden gets drunk one night and goes along opening every single cell. He then returns to the beginning, and "toggles" every second cell -- in this case, they're all open, so he closes every other cell door. He then runs to the beginning again, and "toggles" every third cell, then again with every fourth cell, and so on until the very last run in which he only toggles the hundredth cell, then drops down from exhaustion.

How many cells are left open after this process?
Cook unriggable

Postby Norse on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:54 pm

unriggable wrote:A jail consists of 100 cells in a line, all starting out closed. The warden gets drunk one night and goes along opening every single cell. He then returns to the beginning, and "toggles" every second cell -- in this case, they're all open, so he closes every other cell door. He then runs to the beginning again, and "toggles" every third cell, then again with every fourth cell, and so on until the very last run in which he only toggles the hundredth cell, then drops down from exhaustion.

Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby unriggable on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:56 pm

Norse wrote:
unriggable wrote:A jail consists of 100 cells in a line, all starting out closed. The warden gets drunk one night and goes along opening every single cell. He then returns to the beginning, and "toggles" every second cell -- in this case, they're all open, so he closes every other cell door. He then runs to the beginning again, and "toggles" every third cell, then again with every fourth cell, and so on until the very last run in which he only toggles the hundredth cell, then drops down from exhaustion.

Wrong.
Cook unriggable

Postby Norse on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:56 pm

unriggable wrote:
Norse wrote:

Wrong.

no it aint.

Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby Norse on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:57 pm

Unless, of course, you asked the wrong question.

Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby unriggable on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:57 pm

Norse wrote:
unriggable wrote:
Norse wrote:

Wrong.

no it aint.

Here's a hint: Check the number nine.
Cook unriggable

Postby Titanic on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:11 pm

unriggable wrote:
Norse wrote:
unriggable wrote:
Norse wrote:

Wrong.

no it aint.

Here's a hint: Check the number nine.

Its 10. Every square number will be left open, because only square numbers have an odd amount of factors.
Major Titanic

Postby Norse on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm

No...FFS

If hes gone and toggle in factors of 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 then 6 then 7 then 8 then 9 then 10 then 11 then 12 then 13 then 14 then 15....so on son on..he would have toggled every bloody door out of default, apart from the first...

Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby MeDeFe on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:29 pm

but he toggles them more than once. open to closed and closed to open.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Norse on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:33 pm

meh, not made astoundingly clear here...no mention of a"re-toggle" opening the door again...

Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby unriggable on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:14 pm

Look, I don't write these riddles, I only copy+paste them. Call it plagiarism. BTW it was ten, and the other riddle, I can't remember.
Cook unriggable

Postby Carebian Knight on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:09 pm

Maybe you just don't understand English Norse, because I understood it fine.
Private 1st Class Carebian Knight

Postby bryguy on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:21 pm

what word is made longer when the third letter is removed??
Corporal bryguy

Postby Carebian Knight on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:47 pm

lounger
Private 1st Class Carebian Knight

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,