Conquer Club

[Poll] Should the Minimum Requirements be Increased?

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Just like the thread says: should the minimum requirements for tournaments be increased

Poll ended at Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:18 pm

No, they are fine the way they are
85%
Yes, the standards should be higher
15%

Total votes : 54

[Poll] Should the Minimum Requirements be Increased?

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:18 pm

As work continues on the rewrite of the Tournament Handbook, we would like to hear the community's opinion about tournament requirements.

On the one hand, there have always been people that say it's too easy to get a tournament medal, that the minimum requirements are too low. On the other hand, the simple 16-player 1-game-per-round tournament, although often derided by people who like more complex tourneys, remains wildly popular.

What do you think?

Feel free to vote, and also feel free to post an opinion for or against, but please keep it civil.

For reference, here is what the Tournament Handbook currently says:
Subject: [Official] Conquer Club Tournament Handbook

Night Strike wrote:
You will need to keep in mind several minimum requirements that must be observed in order for your tournament to be considered a public tournament. (Effective 04.12.10)

• All tournaments must have at least the following amount of participants:
    • 1v1 and Singles Tournaments: 16 players
    • Team Tournaments: 8 teams (no more than 12 players per team; Added June 16, 2011)
  • The maximum point restriction allowed on a tournament is 2000+ points per player or team average.
  • The tournament format must cause the eventual winner to play at least 3 games.
  • The tournament must list all settings.
  • All players must be given at least 24 hours to join their games, unless the tournament uses speed games (at least 48 hours is preferred).
  • At least 50% of the spots must be for open/public sign-ups and not filled with special invitations; every player or one person from every team must post in the thread to enroll.
  • All players must be listed in the tournament thread in order to receive tournament privileges.
  • Each tournament should be designed to end within 1 year. (Added June 16, 2011)
  • Each organizer can have only 4 tournaments recruiting players at once (has NO effect on ongoing tournaments or reserves threads).
  • The Tournament Directors reserve the right to deny privileges for your tournament if the tournament is deemed to break site or tournament rules, has an unfair structure, or has pertinent settings missing from the tournament description.
  • If you wish to run a tournament based upon an actual sports league or another well-designed format, and it requires you to have less than the minimum amount of participants or games, please contact the Create/Join Director to discuss a possible exemption.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: [Poll] Should the Minimum Requirements be Increased?

Postby SilverWill on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:32 pm

Dukasaur, you forgot to add the option of "unsure" since I don't mind the current restrictions but I also prefer running a complex tourney (sometimes you manage less games that way) :D I just have to limit what I do due to the number of people I feel are going to join in the shortest amount of time.
Sergeant 1st Class SilverWill

Postby Blitzkrieg Frank on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:25 am

Why don't you create tiers eg bronze silver and gold tournie trophy.

Bronze - Easy tournies. Entry to everyone
Silver - Hard tournies. Entry to everyone
Gold - Tough tournies. To obtain this all players playing in the Gold Tournies must also be over 2000 pts, including teams. Each player on a team must be higher than 2000pts.

At the beginning of each tournie it would state what category the tournie sits in. Simple 16 player 1 v 1 would be allocated the bronze status whereas multi player standard on where all players are major or better would be tough.

Just a thought guys.
Lieutenant Blitzkrieg Frank

Postby Blitzkrieg Frank on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:27 am

Oh yer and on the tournie page you would have heading BRONZE SILVER GOLD with each section having the available tournies listed under the heading it is classified as.

Postby Captn B on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:18 am

Blitzkrieg Frank wrote:Why don't you create tiers eg bronze silver and gold tournie trophy.

Bronze - Easy tournies. Entry to everyone
Silver - Hard tournies. Entry to everyone
Gold - Tough tournies. To obtain this all players playing in the Gold Tournies must also be over 2000 pts, including teams. Each player on a team must be higher than 2000pts.

At the beginning of each tournie it would state what category the tournie sits in. Simple 16 player 1 v 1 would be allocated the bronze status whereas multi player standard on where all players are major or better would be tough.

Ooo. I like this! Tho I'm not sure I understand what the difference in criteria would be for the Bronze and Silver tiers. If there was no difference, then simply have two tiers: 1 through 1999 points and the other 2000+ points.

Maybe designate them as Normal and Difficult, or No Star and One Star, or Non-Com and Commissioned (tho not an accurate designation, I realize), or Yaris and Cadillac, or Newbs and Rubes, or WhipperSnappers and Geezers, or Cows and Rhinos, or cats and dogs -- or whatever (you could have a contest on what to call the different levels :lol: ). Specify that for the Difficult tourneys, if a player were to fall below 2000 points during the tournament, he may continue in the tournament. The criteria being that when the tournament started, the player had an adequate number of points.

Conversely, if during a Normal tournament, a player were to gain points which put him over the 1999 threshold, that he could continue in the tourney--so long as when the tournament began, his points were under 2000.

You'd have to make another determination tho: Sign-ups. A player could feasibly sign up for a tournament and, before it started, his score could change, which could disqualify him one way or another.

I'd be of the opinion that the criteria would be: Score At Time of Sign Up. You'd have to post your score in the thread when signing up. This way, if the TO is counting on all the players who signed up to participate, the players' interim game play would not disqualify himself and foil the TO's efforts.

Or another option would be a percentage over or under, based on if the player has already been over the mark, or has never been. That isn't very clear is it? An example would be if player JoeSchmoe had been a Major, but had fallen below the 2000, he would still be allowed to sign up for the upper division, IF he were within 5% of the required score (5% of 2000=100 points). So Joe could be as low as 1900, but no lower, either when it started or when he signed up.

Yet on the other hand, if player SchmoeJoe was a captain with 1950 points, that he would not be allowed into the upper division. However, if after he signed up, his score went up to as much as 2100 points (again the 5% variation), he could still participate in the Normal division tourney, that he had already signed up for.

I think it better not to have this last (+ or -5%) option, but it is just something for the community to consider, as questions like that will probably come up.
Major Captn B
SoC Training Adviser

Postby shoop76 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:02 am

I would like to see different levels of tournaments as well, though I don't think any level should be based on a players score. I don't think we need to raise the number of players or outlaw organizers that make the same tournament over and over again. There aren' enough tournaments as it is and this would likely reduce them even more.
Major shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby thelord on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:21 pm

Tourney level based on total games played to get your win? Or opponents beaten?
e.g. 4- 10 opponents = Bronze
10-30 silver
31+ = gold
Means simple knockouts are bronze tourneys.
Round robins silver or gold
Or something like that?

Not by score. There are some good players who have low scores simply coz they dont care what map they play or against who.
Lieutenant thelord

Postby Blitzkrieg Frank on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:48 pm

Good at least we are agreeing that we need tiers or levels of difficulty, how the tiers are determined is what we should be asking the cc community to have input into. At the moment 86% are happy with the way the tournies are but I believe having tiers or levels of difficulty will improve the tournie section of the site.

Postby benga on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:35 am

The many restrictons have really just hurt TOs and tourneys, I really dislike adding any more restrictions.

Wining tourneys isn't as easy as it seems, we really don't have a big variety of tourney winners.

Also if we are making tourney classification then it should be by type, not by number of players.

Also auto-tourneys should be equaled treated, with same mon reqs and medal hand-out.
Sergeant benga

Postby shoop76 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:56 am

N sure about the medals, I haven't received 1 from a tourney win in years.
Major shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby Blitzkrieg Frank on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:51 pm

No auto tournies award stars - the stars should carry more weight maybe the public tournies should carry entry fee of stars as well like the auto tournies?????

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:34 pm

i didn't read the whole thread, but i don't know why further restricting tournaments would come up when tournaments are sufferting. 16 player single elim. tournaments are probably the best thing about joining a tournament.

especially for newer members that probably woudn't get much out of having to wait over a year to see a tournament run its course.
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby Ben Wilson on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:32 am

What about making the entry easier?
According to the must be under 2000 points criteria "The maximum point restriction allowed on a tournament is 2000+ points per player or team average" I won't be able to enter any tournaments ever. Even though I have played less than 100 games.
The only auto tourney I can join costs 3 great war cannons as entry. I only have 5 so I can enter 1 more tournament unless I finish in the top four and win another great war cannon.
Major Ben Wilson

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Ben Wilson wrote:What about making the entry easier?
According to the must be under 2000 points criteria "The maximum point restriction allowed on a tournament is 2000+ points per player or team average" I won't be able to enter any tournaments ever. Even though I have played less than 100 games.

You misunderstand. The point restriction maximum is the maximum restriction that organisers are allowed to place on a tournament. It does not mean they need to place such a restriction. Most tournaments, probably over 95%, do not have any point restriction at all.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:45 am

Poll ran for a month and is now closed. "No" wins by a landslide.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Return to Tournament Archives