Conquer Club

World Cup of Risk! - Winner Team Greece!

Tournaments Completed in 2020

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: World Cup of Risk!

Postby groovysmurf on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Chariot of Fire wrote:Sorry to bring it up here, but not sure where else to take it. All feedback has to be useful to you though, as you need to formulate the ground rules. Just some ideas for your consideration:
All feedback is incredibly useful and much appreciated. :-)

1. Don't have qualifiers for countries with many representatives because a) it's time-consuming and b) it's unfair on those teams that get knocked out as they never had a chance to battle in the actual tourney. Either draw lots to choose the x number of representatives or simply let that country have x number of teams. To be crowned champions one still has to beat each team along the way so it really doesn't matter if I end-up facing Croatia or USA III, right? Plus it is more representative of CC and its members. Anyway, less work for you and more happier participants :D
We realized pretty quickly that the qualifier thing would be a bit ridiculous and we have no intention of doing that anymore.

2. Scrap the 'unfair dice' rule. This will become really contentious and cause a lot of arguments, believe me. Plus you are giving yourselves an incredible workload to check logs and calculate a fair decision. As Donelladan said, the dice even out over a large sample size so simply make the number of games played a larger number (and this also helps increase the team sizes so everyone gets to play). 3 x doubs, 3 x trips, 3 x quads requires 27 slots - perfect for teams of 14 (no-one can play more than two games). This will become a big tourney and you need to avoid time-consuming jobs such as dice checking. Just create more games - it's easier and ultimately fairer.
Scrapped! :-)

3. Create a reserve pool for those who didn't get into a team. There will be drop-outs so it will be useful to call on reserves.
100% for sure - Thinking 6-12 members per team, with additional in "reserve".

4. Let players represent whichever country they want, not the country represented by their CC flag. You will get a much better cross-section for starters (Israel, Ukraine, Poland, Mexico, Puerto Rico, etc are a few examples of countries that could be represented by US-based players, which helps alleviate the glut of players mentioned in pt.1 above. No-one is going to represent Iceland and say "Yay, Iceland are CC World Champions" unless there is some link, however tenuous, to that country.
Just changed this a few minutes ago. Waiting to see if anyone wants to switch and see where our numbers are then!

5. Keep it simple. There are those that read all the rules and follow them, then there are those who just ask questions rather than research for themselves. With so many participants you will be fielding a barrage of inane questions if you make the format too complex.
My thing has always been "there are no stupid questions"...hopefully that doesn't change! ;-)

I've never run a tourney on CC (I really should) so you can take the above suggestions with a pinch of salt. I did write exam papers for a living though, so I'm really meticulous in my attention to detail and also the demands that are to be placed on the exam paper markers (yes, that's you).
I think you should, for sure. You are intelligent, well respected and well liked. I'm sure that you'd have a lot of support. This is my first, as well.

I think you've devised a gem of a competition here and I'm just chipping ideas in so you can come up with the perfect format. Good luck :D

Thanks!
Major groovysmurf
Clan Director
Clan Director

Postby groovysmurf on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Donelladan wrote:Isn't it better to simply let everyone playing for the country they want ?
I still don't think this rule [Bad Dice Clause ] is viable. Either no one will use it ( probably the case) and the event will work well. Or some people will argue about bad dice, and it is going to be a mess.

Yep, agreed, on both things. Thanks for your input, much appreciated. :-)

BrutalBob wrote:I have heard of the FOW rule, but never played it. What happens if I take my turn before the 12 hours?

You must disclose in chat what you did, usually only if you actually take one of your opponent's territories. Basically just a copy/paste from the log.
Major groovysmurf
Clan Director
Clan Director

Postby 4red on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:09 pm

Australia please
Major 4red

Postby point on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:37 pm

groovysmurf wrote:Alright everyone, it's time to decide what country shall hold the title of the best in the Conquer Club world!

This tournament will be a team event and played on the World 2.1 map with various settings (including escalating, chained; no spoils, adjacent; nuclear, parachute).
There will be no multi-team games. All will be one team vs another to ensure there is no teaming up.
All games will be fog to discourage outside coaching and the 12hr fog of war rule will be in effect.

Scoring will be on a point system and will be updated regularly on a google sheet/doc. After each team has battled all other teams, semi-finalists will be decided by highest point totals.

Each round, a team will be involved in a total of 6 games, against two opponents. No single member should be playing in all three games against the same opponent. Who plays in which games will be determined by team captains via any method of diplomacy they wish to use.

This tournament is open for ALL members, including freemium. All games will be 24hr team games and the game load per player should not be higher than 4 at any time.

Bad Dice Clause: If a team feels the game was lost due to dice and not superior strategy, dice stats must be posted in game chat and the game will be reviewed by groovysmurf, zeus111 and all team captains. The game will be recreated if the majority votes that the dice were biased. This rule is to ensure the utmost fair level of play.

Each team will be a different country/region and will have a team captain. Players may join the country of his or her choice. If needed, Team United Nations will be created and made up of players from various regions, so don't be discouraged if you are somewhere that does not have a large CC membership. We are shooting for 12 players for each team, but if necessary, will accept a minimum of 6 for countries with less CC representation.

zeus111 will be gifting 10, 90 day premium memberships to players with high attendance rate to assist teams in regions where membership is low.

Please say "I'm in" and for what country you wish to play for. Thanks! We think this should be a lot of fun once it gets going.

zeus111 and groovysmurf
Captain point

Postby point on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:38 pm

point wrote:
groovysmurf wrote:Alright everyone, it's time to decide what country shall hold the title of the best in the Conquer Club world!

This tournament will be a team event and played on the World 2.1 map with various settings (including escalating, chained; no spoils, adjacent; nuclear, parachute).
There will be no multi-team games. All will be one team vs another to ensure there is no teaming up.
All games will be fog to discourage outside coaching and the 12hr fog of war rule will be in effect.

Scoring will be on a point system and will be updated regularly on a google sheet/doc. After each team has battled all other teams, semi-finalists will be decided by highest point totals.

Each round, a team will be involved in a total of 6 games, against two opponents. No single member should be playing in all three games against the same opponent. Who plays in which games will be determined by team captains via any method of diplomacy they wish to use.

This tournament is open for ALL members, including freemium. All games will be 24hr team games and the game load per player should not be higher than 4 at any time.

Bad Dice Clause: If a team feels the game was lost due to dice and not superior strategy, dice stats must be posted in game chat and the game will be reviewed by groovysmurf, zeus111 and all team captains. The game will be recreated if the majority votes that the dice were biased. This rule is to ensure the utmost fair level of play.

Each team will be a different country/region and will have a team captain. Players may join the country of his or her choice. If needed, Team United Nations will be created and made up of players from various regions, so don't be discouraged if you are somewhere that does not have a large CC membership. We are shooting for 12 players for each team, but if necessary, will accept a minimum of 6 for countries with less CC representation.

zeus111 will be gifting 10, 90 day premium memberships to players with high attendance rate to assist teams in regions where membership is low.

Please say "I'm in" and for what country you wish to play for. Thanks! We think this should be a lot of fun once it gets going.

zeus111 and groovysmurf

i´m in . with spain
Captain point

Postby bigsacks on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:19 pm

What would I have to do as the USA captain, I am interested but can only play four games at once... thanks for asking, I am flattered!

-Bigsacks
General bigsacks

Postby riskllama on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:20 pm

llama is in for canada, i guess. unless svalbard is fielding a squad, that is.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby hatmundo on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:11 pm

I'm in for Australia please
Colonel hatmundo

Postby I AM NATO on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:23 am

I'm in for New Zealand.
Sergeant 1st Class I AM NATO

Postby Hamalech on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:27 am

BlackKnight_6 wrote:I'm in. Spain, with joshzam!

Add me in too please.
Lieutenant Hamalech

Postby purehardnut on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:27 am

in for ireland me and gore got this wrapped up
Major purehardnut

Postby abygorb on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:16 am

IM in. Mexico
Major abygorb

Postby DJENRE on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:05 am

France is building a full team as soon as we know how many players there will be in each team. ;)
So maybe you'll have FRANCE 1 and 2 also.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em
YOU LIKE MONOPOLY? PLAY IT on CC => CONQUEROPOLY
YOU'RE A MEDAL HUNTER? HUNT ALL THE MEDALS YOU NEED HERE!
BIG TRIBE TOURNAMENT VI NATIONS 2018
Corporal 1st Class DJENRE

Location: ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

Postby Conchobar on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:07 am

purehardnut wrote:in for ireland me and gore got this wrapped up

If my Greek team is floundering I'll join Team Ireland and bring a few of them with me.
The lifting of the restrictions will indeed make it 1000% easier to put a team together. :mrgreen:
Colonel Conchobar

Postby marijus on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:53 am

Im in norway
Lieutenant marijus

Postby JELO on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:12 pm

Ciao, I am in for FRANCE
Lieutenant JELO

Postby the warrior65 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm in.

Netherlands please
Sergeant 1st Class the warrior65

Postby MudPuppy on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 pm

In for Japan (tentative... I want to see final setup before deciding for sure... but want to save my spot). I like the changes that have been made so far!
Colonel MudPuppy

Postby Mad777 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Googilibear wrote:In for Switzerland!

Hop Schweiz!!! I feel less alone...wish we could gather more Swiss folks, at least those who wants to fight besides us rather than against us :twisted:

According the minimum requirement we could have 4 more to make our own country 8-)
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby IcePack on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Aren’t you supposed to be neutral? :p

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Mad777 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:00 pm

IcePack wrote:Aren’t you supposed to be neutral? :p

lol...I knew someone would come up with this...since we are gonna be attacked each round we will defend ourself as a neutral country.. :lol:
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Jim1086 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:05 pm

Count me in... USA
Sergeant 1st Class Jim1086

Postby hopalong on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:07 am

MudPuppy wrote:In for Japan (tentative... I want to see final setup before deciding for sure... but want to save my spot). I like the changes that have been made so far!

i had you more as south korea.
Major hopalong

Postby danhulbert on Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:41 am

I'm in ... New Zealand
Major danhulbert

Postby hjelp on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:28 am

Hi :)

I'm in and Sweden it will be.

You can add two more names playing for Sweden please,
Lord Arioch