Conquer Club

Caribbean Islands [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Caribbean Islands [Quenched]

Postby edbeard on Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:19 pm

latest version May 26th
may25th
may21st
may20th
may19th
may18th
may13th
may12th
may11th
may9th
may6th
cinco de mayo update
may3rdversion

Minor edits: overhaul on the legend, changed british ships, can't remember what else. 2nd edit today: made a few things look slightly better. spruced up the title slightly, moved some text in the legend. made the ends of the scrolls better too

2ndfromapril28
1stfromapril28

Changed water texture, combined north and south cuba, changed water routes (colour and blending), moved a few army circles, named the ships
april 27th version

Major Edit: Overhaul on the map
previous version

42 territories

note the addition of the British and Spanish Fleets. I'm not totally sold on all the boundaries and bonuses so comments on that especially.

I think the textures are a lot better but maybe not. basically starting from new so need comments on everything again.

Will try to get a new poll going since the map is totally different.

hopefully people like it! thanks for looking
Last edited by edbeard on Sat May 26, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby DiM on Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:30 pm

i had no idea Romania is in Dominican Republic :lol:

Romania is my country's name :P

anyway. map is rather ok for a first draft. still needs work though.

*definitely change the police lines.
*the sea routes coud be done with a dotted line.
*the sea texture is ugly
*use different textures for the continents and make them a bit less obvious. at the moment the texture distracts the eye
*take out the black background from the legend.
*there are too sea routes.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Will_Liam on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:26 pm

1. It's a good first draft, and Im ok with every bonus except for South. Make the bonus 2 so its worth what its worth.
2. I don't like police lines. Change them to mountains or something. Also, too many water routes. Also, put the impassible in the legend not on the corner of the map.
3. Water paths could be dotted, lines like - - - - -
4. Some of the Islands may be too small to put the Number of Armies on (Clarence for Example)

I guess I said alot of what DiM said.

I suppose you should work on it. Its a good map, need some work. Thats it.
I probably don't like you, if you don't belive me, look in the mirror
Private Will_Liam

Postby edbeard on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:47 pm

made a few changes already.

1. changed sea texture. less intense now. As I said only been using photoshop for a few days, so I don't really know how to do much in this area. All I know is that is the general colour I want.

2. removed legend border

3. added rivers as non passable borders

4. changed land textures (better?)

5. removed 2 water routes and made rest dotted (still needs lots of work)

6. moved the info about non-passables

7. I figure army circles can go over both land and water

8. leaving bonus for more discussion (if there is any!)

I find it hard to give South same bonus as Haiti. definitely need to put more thought into this.

done for the day. will check in tomorrow to see if I should continue. thanks for comments.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Will_Liam on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:54 pm

Much better. Keep going... Mabye add small version and large version of map.

Edit the first post so that it shows the most recent version.
I probably don't like you, if you don't belive me, look in the mirror
Private Will_Liam

Postby pancakemix on Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:07 pm

Sea texture is distracting. Hard to read the green bonus. You'll have a hard time getting bonuses into some of those islands.

Other than that, at the moment, it looks OK. Still needs lots of work, but keep at it. You've got a good idea here, and I like it.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Re: Caribbean Islands

Postby TroyMcClure on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:42 pm

I voted yes for a Caribbean map, but with 2 conditions. I would love a carribean map, this area of the world has some very interesting history, especially in naval warfare.

First condition, the map must include more islands. The Caribbean is a big area and has a lot of islands.

see this more extensive map:

Second, the map has to take into account the water. See Alexanders Empire map, it does a great job of treating the waters as territories, unlike many maps that treat water as passage ways. Given the naval history of this area , the map has got to put more value on sea areas.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby johloh on Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:25 pm

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3943&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135 - old map
its on vacation...but, I think the zoom level of this old map is better than the zoomed in version that doesnt really feel to me like the caribbean...

it mostly just cuba and hispaniola...
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby TroyMcClure on Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:00 pm

johloh wrote:http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3943&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135 - old map
its on vacation...but, I think the zoom level of this old map is better than the zoomed in version that doesnt really feel to me like the caribbean...

it mostly just cuba and hispaniola...

That's a nice map! ... but I would not call it the Carribean, maybe "Spanish Conquest" or "Spanish New World".
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby edbeard on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:09 pm

thinking about it more a major problem is the mix of reality and fantasy. it's the north caribbean but moved around and stuff. at this point I think reality is more interesting.

I think the map could still work, but I do think my original idea of the entire caribbean is better, and a couple of people seem to share that thought. I might put something together this weekend.

I like the battle for australia idea of ships as territories, so I might steal that and put in pirate ships, british navy and spanish armada or something
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby edbeard on Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:14 pm

Major Overhaul on the map

42 territories

note the addition of the British and Spanish Fleets. I'm not totally sold on all the boundaries and bonuses so comments on that especially.

I think the textures are a lot better but maybe not. basically starting from new so need comments on everything again.

Will try to get a new poll going since the map is totally different.

hopefully people like it! thanks for looking
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:18 pm

Does this map look fun?

Yes, edbeard is also very sexy
60% [ 14 ]
No, but I smell so my vote doesn't count.
39% [ 9 ]

Total Votes : 23
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby wrightfan123 on Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:26 pm

You should combind N. Cuba and S. Cube into one big Cuba. I'm getting sick of all the maps with 2 bonuses and 9 continents...
Corporal wrightfan123

Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.

Postby Gilligan on Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:43 pm

You might want to look here.
Captain Gilligan

Postby edbeard on Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:04 pm

Gilligan wrote:You might want to look here.

I am well aware of that map. I made sure to look around before starting on this.

The two maps are very different. That map while called "Caribbean Sea" really focuses on the land mass of america. This map focuses on the islands, hence "Caribbean Islands"

I think they can easily co-exist.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby DiM on Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:17 pm

use famous ship names for the ships.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Gilligan on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:43 am

edbeard wrote:
Gilligan wrote:You might want to look here.

I am well aware of that map. I made sure to look around before starting on this.

The two maps are very different. That map while called "Caribbean Sea" really focuses on the land mass of america. This map focuses on the islands, hence "Caribbean Islands"

I think they can easily co-exist.

Yeah, you're right.
Captain Gilligan

Postby yeti_c on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:56 am

DiM wrote:use famous ship names for the ships.

Definitely...

Do some research and call them

HMS Stalwart or something like that...

Not sure what the Spanish ships would be called... (something spanish probbaly but I mean the HMS bit!)

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby TroyMcClure on Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:36 am

Excellent map! Great idea with the ships. Yes, use real names would be unique. Do you have pirate ships???

some ships
Blackbeard's ship : Queen Anne's Revenge
Henry Morgan: Satisfaction
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby johloh on Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:39 am

Do you have pirate ships???
great idea, a third fleet of pirate ships would be a nice touch...

I would...
-work with the font in the legend, I like the style of it...but its hard to read...maybe an outline, a white shadow, something to bring it out, or a different more clear font...some like 'columbia' or 'navy' are easy to read while 'bahamas' is hard. btw the font looks great in the title, so maybe its the size of the legend text.
-real names for ships is a good idea too
-in some places your yellow connections cross over black borders (jamaica etc) and in others they go up to the border and stop (florida etc)...pick a uniform style and go with it...it also looks like in some places you connected army circles...and in some places you connected islands...Id uniform up the style...
-I also dont like two country bonuses...in my opinion id combine venez/colom into one big continent...youve got a lot of small bonuses, so a big cont. wouldnt hurt...
Major johloh

Postby johloh on Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:39 am

oh yeah...and looking MUCH better than the first draft. Great job!
Major johloh

Postby Balsiefen on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:02 pm

Just one point, the spanish fleet should not be the armada as that was the fleet sent to invade england, these would have been the tresure gallions
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Postby edbeard on Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:27 pm

You guys gave me a lot to think about. I have midterms coming up so I probably won't do too much over this next week or two.

I originally had pirate ships, but with 34 territories and 8 ships, and already having lots of smaller bonus territories, I felt like one fleet should consist of 5 ships.

I meant to change ship names but I totally forgot. I had thought names of famous captains would be cool, but ship names could work too.

As for combining some of the smaller territories into 1 larger one, I know this is probably best for gameplay, but I'm just not sure where. I'm not sold on it being in the south as the only borders would be with spanish and windward. I think cuba is a better option to combine since it would border spanish, hispanola and bahamas. If I did this, I think making Florida part of the bahamas is a good idea as well.

Another thought I had was to something different with spanish 4. Whether it's having it border jamaica, or moving it east so it borders martinique I'm not sure.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback so far, and would be happy to see comments on my thoughts above as well.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby TroyMcClure on Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:12 pm

I thought the same thing about combining Columbia and Venezuela. How do 1-bonus areas play?

I like the font.

Please don't put dark blue and purple areas next to each other. Hard to see.

Could you experiment a little with the water effects? It looks like paper texture. This area has so many fantastic beaches, it seems the map could use something different than other maps.

inspirational pictures:

ImageImage
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby Balsiefen on Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:58 am

edbeard wrote:I meant to change ship names but I totally forgot. I had thought names of famous captains would be cool, but ship names could work too.

if you do that, make one of them Willliam Lodge, he was a british captain in charge of redirecting spanish gold ships to england
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Next

Return to The Atlas