Conquer Club

The Great War

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:56 pm

jfm10 wrote:Can i donate 30 of my Great War Cannons to a pool and have Duk distribute when players ask for some?

I have given some to everyone who has asked. Mind you, if there were hundreds of requests, I probably couldn't afford it, but the limited number of requests that have come in have been easily manageable.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Hooch on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:07 pm

IcePack wrote:There isnā€™t, admin would have to manually take away and add it themselves
That being said if duka gets the admin to do it or code something to automate it I have 64 to contribute to the pool

Throw it out there, can they be gifted to the conquer gods?

They like stars just get printed, they don't have any real value or do they?
Private 1st Class Hooch

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:47 pm

Hooch wrote:
IcePack wrote:There isnā€™t, admin would have to manually take away and add it themselves
That being said if duka gets the admin to do it or code something to automate it I have 64 to contribute to the pool

Throw it out there, can they be gifted to the conquer gods?

They like stars just get printed, they don't have any real value or do they?

All inventory items have a nominal value. (Whether they're actually worth that is a completely separate question I won't get into.) Tank tokens cost me 1 credit each, the same value as silver stars.

And, no, they cannot be sacrificed. The Gods only eat stars, no other inventory items.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby angola on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:25 pm

In my last nine wins in Great War games I haven't received a cannon token. I know it's random, but that's about as irritating as my goddamn dice lately.

I've won:

four two-player games
one four-player game
two five-player games
one six-player game
one seven-player game

And no tokens! Damn the CC dice generator and damn the CC Great War cannon token generator!
Highest rank: 48th. Highest score: 3,384. Feb. 9, 2014.
Captain angola

Postby riskllama on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:42 am

pistols & helmets, pls.
O:)
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:14 am

Kostiuchnowka

wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kostiuchn%C3%B3wka
wikipedia wrote:The Battle of KostiuchnĆ³wka was a World War I battle that took place July 4ā€“6, 1916, near the village of KostiuchnĆ³wka (Kostyukhnivka) and the Styr River in the Volhynia region of modern Ukraine, then part of the Russian Empire. It was a major clash between the Russian Army and the Polish Legions (part of the Austro-Hungarian Army) during the opening phase of the Brusilov Offensive.

By Unknown - Scanned from: Bitwa pod KostiuchnĆ³wką, Zwycięstwa Oręża Polskiego Nr 16. Rzeczpospolita and MĆ³wią Wieki. Various authors and editors. 17 June 2006, PD-US, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=20762225

The Polish Legions had a double purpose: they served the Austro-Hungarian Empire of which they were part, but their ultimate aim was to pave the way for the restoration of an independent Poland. Jozef Pilsudski, founder of the Polish Legions, believed that Austria-Hungary would disintegrate spontaneously. The most dangerous enemy of Polish independence was Russia, and Russia would have to be beaten for Polish independence to be restored.

The Polish Legions effectively held the Steyr region from the start of the war, and were respected by the German and Austro-Hungarian commands. With the opening of the Brusilov Offensive in 1916, however, the Poles were attacked by a much larger Russian Corps than they had previously faced. Despite fierce resistance, they did eventually succumb.

This will be a very simple tournament, based on the map, WWII Poland, which celebrates Polish resistance in the great war after the Great War. All games will use the basic settings that are most popular on this map: Escalating, Foggy, Chained.

16 players start
Round 1: best-of-3 1v1 games, 8 advance, scores reset
Round 2: 4 8-player games, 4 advance, scores reset
Round 3: 5 4-player games
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:51 am

angola wrote:In my last nine wins in Great War games I haven't received a cannon token. I know it's random, but that's about as irritating as my goddamn dice lately.

I've won:

four two-player games
one four-player game
two five-player games
one six-player game
one seven-player game

And no tokens! Damn the CC dice generator and damn the CC Great War cannon token generator!

Don't forget tokens only drop from public games on the specified list:
Click here for eligible games
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:35 pm

Rumania Part 2
gigi_b wrote:
4. The enthusiastic initiative against an under-strength opponent. First phase for the Battle of Transylvania

Romania entered the conflict as soon as the official declaration of war was delivered to Austro-Hungary on the 27th of August 1916.

What ensued for the next couple of months came to be called the Battle for Transylvania(27 Aug-25 Oct 1916). It began as an enthusiastic offensive across the Eastern and Southern Carpathians, with the Second Army as the main group and the First and Fourth on its flanks, with the general aim of controlling the Mureș river. The plan was that the natural border of the river would both become a good defensive position in case of a counter-offensive and will also contract the front line by roughly 500 km, turning the front line from an (inverse) "L" shape (which was very long, thus hard to operate on) into a roughly straight (diagonal) one.

The first half of the month was greatly successful and was met with joy by the local press and public. However what was failed to be mentioned was the fact that the defenders, caught unprepared with focuses on the western front, were comprised of just the first Austro-Hungarian Army, a week force by comparison that was easily pushed back.
During the first part of the offensive, until the 13th of September, the three armies managed to advance roughly 100 km into Transylvania and capture key areas and towns like, Brașov, Orșova or Miercura Ciuc and pushing the front up to the Olt and Mureș rivers.

In the first two weeks of the campaign the Romanian troops met week resistance based on the unable and surprised Austro-hungarian 1st army. It was initially formed of 30 batallions of infantry and landstrum (a militia-like group, made up of recruits), with 8 cavalry squadrons and 8 artillery batteries: a meager force. However during the 2 first weeks of the offensive, the Central Powers were able to bring from other fronts up to 11 infantry and 3 cavalry divisions matching the number of the Romanian force.

Geographical map of Romania with the outline of the front line at the height of the push at the end of August 1916. The locations are in german; Kronstadt=Brașov, Hermanstadt(just on the line)=Sibiu. You can also see the Mureș river which would have been the desired goal of the advance.

Maps:
- mountain areas -> ?
- river valley -> ?

5. The reality of war: the disaster at the Battle of Turtucaia/Tutrakan

Between the 1st and 6th of September 1916 took place the Battle of Turtucaia in the southern Romanian front. It came to be the most bitter Romanian military defeat in history. At the end of the 6 days of fighting, from about 39 000 Romanian troops present during the action, 28 500 were taken prisoners, about 7000 were dead or wounded and only around 3500 were able to escape. On the Central Powers side, the Bulgarians suffered most of the casualties; from an estimate of 9000 killed, wounded or missing, only around 40 were German.

Turtucaia represented a fortified stronghold on the right bank of the Danube which was gained along with the 2 Bulgarian provinces after the Second Balkan War of 1913. Dubbed as "the Romanian Verdun" it had the same characteristics as a fortified redoubt of the time. With the centre around the village of Turtucaia it had 2 concentrical lines of defence anchored by the natural barrier of the Danube. The first one at roughly 3-4 km away from Turtucaia was made up of trenches and ditches with firing nests, with much of the structure unfinished or deteriorated. To the front, the primary line of defence was at around 8-10 km radius from Turtucaia and had 15 centres of resistance which were bunker-like shelters that could hold up to 70 men, with a raise of 60 cm above the ground and reinforced rooftops. They were connected with a web of trenches with barbed wire and machine gun positions.

Much of the artillery was concentrated around Turtucaia with some mounted on the river monitors that were to support the defence. Unfortunately much of these were obsolete based on modern standards with low firing speed and functioning only from fixed positions. "For command purposes the entire area of the fortress was divided into three sectors: I (west), II (south) and III (east), also named after local villages - Staro Selo, Daidur, and Antimovo. Each of them had its own commander"[16] of different groups of the 17th infantry division, of the Romanian 3rd army.

The opposing force was the bulgarian-turkish-german army assembled under field marshal Mackensen with the purpose of striking a rapid blow to the Russian-Romanian force around Danube and Black Sea coast, in order to to give the in-process build-up of forces on the Carpathian front under Falkenhein sufficient time to prepare for a counter-offensive. The initial plan of Mackensen was a parallel assault on both Turtucaia and Silistra along the front line, but it was opposed by the Bulgarian Gral Stefan Toshev who presented a plan that focused on Turtucaia. As this relied on better intelligence of the front, the Bulgarian Gral's plan was approved by Mackensen with minor modifications.

The operation began on September the 1st with the Bulgarian-German troops passing the border and pushing back the guard patrols. The next 3 days, following the plan, the Central Power's troops maneuver to encircle the Turtucaia stronghold, at first attacking on the entire front and then moving its left and right flank up towards the Danube with reinforcements on the right in order to suppress an eventual relief operations from the Silistra direction. In fact on the 3rd of September the head of the 3rd Romanian army and the front sends orders to 2 Russian divisions at Silistra to support the defence, but the order is received late and not executed. On the 4th the Bulgarian-German army attacks the western sector I as a decoy to allow the main build-up of troops in Sector II which was were the main offence was planned. The commandment at Turtucaia starts to receive seom reinforcements from the other side of the Danube. On the 5th the main push is ordered against the southern centres of resistance of the main defence line with attacks against posts 4 up to 9. These are all successful and the Romanian troops withdraw to the secondary positions, In sector III in the east, even though the enemy conquers only the 11'th centre of resistance, there is a general retreat towards the secondary defences. On the 6th of September, the Romanians try 2 counter-attacks. One in sector I with the aim to recover centres 2-4 and the forest in the area and another one in Sector III, supported by the river monitors and some of the troops arrived from Silistra. Both of them fail, with the one in Sector III briefly managing to secure a connection for some of the troops to retreat. The command of the stronghold fleas the area before the enemy arrives in Turtucaia and the colonel left in command offers unconditional surrender soon after.

After the battle, gen Toshev remarked that "even women could have held the attack for 4-5 days" at Turtucaia, marking the swift and hard blow inflicted by him and his men to the Romanian army. It was indeed a grave defeat for the Romanian side, a result not only because of poor equipment and local defence outline, but mostly due to inapt command of the field officers that failed to finish defence preparations and failed to follow battle orders in some cases. The use of reserves was badly managed; they were committed to battle without a build-up that would make their action sustainable, but as they arrived. Big army groups retreated without exchanging fire with the enemy or entering skirmishes. The commander of the initial 17th division that was the main group of defence, actually fled the field before the battle was done, leaving behind his troops and to an inferior officer the task of surrendering.

"The scale of the defeat forced Romania to detach several divisions from its armies in Transylvania, greatly reducing the impetus of the advance there. On 7 September that advance was restricted by the Romanian high command, and on 15 September it was halted altogether, even before the armies had linked up on a defensible front. Major changes were made in the command structure of the forces operating against the Bulgarian Third Army. Command of the Romanian Third Army was taken over by General Averescu, and the Russo-Romanian forces in Dobrudja were reorganized as the Army of Dobrudja under General Zayonchkovski."[16]

Schematic depiction of the state of the fort and troop manuevers during the engagement.
The general location of the operations can be seen on the map from the previous section. Both Turtucaia (Turtukai) and Silistra (Silistria) are just below the Danube.

Maps:
- Siege -> Turtucaia
- stronghold fort -> Ziggurat
- swift and decisive victory -> Conquer 500

6. Start of Central Powers counter-offensive. Second phase of the Battle for Transylvania

After halting the advance with the reinforced 1st Austro-Hungarian army and the newly formed German 9th army under former German Chief of Staff, Erich von Falkenhayn, the Central Powers prepared for a counter-offensive. By the 18th of September the Romanian troop superiority was matched and the offence halted. This was also due to troop maneuvers of the Romanian army intended at filling the gap left in the South with the defeat and loss of Turtucaia.

At first the plan was for a double push, with the northern 1st Austro-Hungarian army in the direction of Trotuș-Oituz with the goal of reaching Siret valley to disable Russian reinforcement of the area. The second counter-offensive, held by the German 9th army with the objective of cutting through the most accessible defence line of the Southern Carpatians with the goal of reaching the capital, Bucharest.
Isolated the groups of the 3 Romanian armies which entered Transylvania seemed as the best plan for the counter-offensive. Falkenhein decided to focus on one them and try to disable it. The best suited for this tactic was the group on the valley of river Olt which was located around the town of Sibiu and was the most isolated one with a large mountain area that blocked connection with the western Jiu group.
Falkenhein suspended the fights with the Jiu group which had already been pushed back to the original position of the border. He ordered all the filed commanders to suspend operations, dig for defence and send all available army groups towards a build-up in the Sibiu area.

I won't attempt to improve on Gigi's beautiful write-up. I've made some very minor edits (basically paragraph breaks and extra white space) for readability. There's a few places where it shows that English is not his first language, but overall it's beautifully written, and I recommend you spend some time with it.

Phase 1: A rapid deployment from Romania's mountain fastnesses into the Transylvanian river valleys
CC has a lot more maps with nice river valleys than maps with nice mountains. That's okay, since the armies spent more time down in the rivers.
Mountain maps: King of the Mountains, San Marino.
Valley Maps: Lower Egypt, Gilgamesh, Feudal War, Classic Cities Istanbul, Bamboo Jack, Philadelphia
8 X 7-player Standard games, all on site default settings except foggy
21 players start and 10 move on, scores reset

Phase 2: Meanwhile, disaster in the south
Siege, Ziggurat, Conquer 500
3 X Poly-4 games, all on site default settings except foggy
10 players start and 5 move on

Phase 3: In the north, the Central Powers counterattack
Magyarorszag
6 X 5-player Terminator games, all on site default settings except foggy
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Maghdaba

wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Magdhaba
thoughtco: https://www.thoughtco.com/battle-of-magdhaba-2361404

The defeat at Romani ended the German and Turkish plans to seize the Suez Canal. After Romani there was a long period of British ascendancy in the region.

The town of El Arish was abandoned by the Turks and the British entered without resistance. South of El Arish, however, was the fortified oasis of Maghdaba. It was not a large fortification, but well-designed, and held by approximately 2,000 troops. Von Kressenstein believed its main defense, however, was not its fortifications but the overextended British supply line, which would prevent the British from operating effeciently in the region. Two things von Kressenstein hadn't counted on were: the efficiency of the British railway network in Africa, and the resourcefulness of the ANZAC Mounted Corps, composed of graziers and ranchers from the wilder parts of Australia and New Zealand who were accustomed to fighting on short rations.

Using the swift mobility of their horses to completely surround Maghdaba, the ANZACs attacked from all directions at once. The New Zealand Mounted Rifles dismounted and attacked on foot, while the British Horse Artillery and the Imperial Camel Corps deployed and provided covering fire whenever they were needed. The attack was almost a perfect textbook example of how to execute a combined attack of this type. The ANZACs suffered 22 dead and 124 wounded versus the Turkish loss of 300 dead and nearly 1500 captured.

Tournament 18 players start:

Round 1: The Sinai is the bridge between Egypt and Palestine.
6 X 1v1 games, one each on the four Egypt maps, the Ancient Israel Map, and Middle East, default settings except foggy.
1 pt per game

14 advance

Round 2: The efficiency of the British rail system allowed resupply
2 X 7p Terminator games on Rail Africa, default settings except 1 Trench (other non-trench)
4 pts per game

12 advance

Round 3: The ANZAC Mounted Division included Australian, New Zealander, British, and Indian units
4 X 6p games, 1 each on British Isles, Indian Empire, Oceania, and Australia.
3 pts per game

Scores reset, 10 advance

Round 4: The swiftness of cavalry was used for a quick encirclement
5 X 1v1 games on the Knights map, default settings except foggy
2 pts per game

8 advance

Round 5: The final assault was left to the New Zealanders
3 X 8p Standard games, one each of escalating, flat, and nuclear, randomly foggy, randomly trenchy
100-round limit
5 pts per game
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Second Kut, a.k.a. Maude takes over in Mesopotamia.

As described in our earlier tournament, Tragedy at Kut, the loss of the 6th Division at Kut was an entirely preventable tragedy brought about by Sir Charles Townshend's colossal hubris. Townshend's aggressive strategy had brought him success at Amara and Es Sinn and fed his self-image as an invincible god of war. The losses at Ctesiphon and Kut he blamed on others.

In fairness, though, Townshend was by no means alone in his view. The entire command of the Indian Army was full of men of privilege who considered themselves a cut above lesser mortals. The command structure of the Indian Army, just like Indian government in general, was very racist. The Generals were all Englishmen; the Colonels tended to be Scotsmen. The best an Indian of actual Indian blood could hope for was the rank of Major, and even then only if he was a relatively high-caste Indian with relatively pale skin. Lower caste Indians tended to be darker, and even among the recruits the darker one's skin, the lower one's likely rank.

This contempt for darker-coloured Asiatics led the Indian command to minimize the difficulties of war against the swarthy Turks. Thus, their rush to invade Mesopotamia without any regard for proper staff work, building a supply chain, or ensuring adequate reinforcements. The Generals expected the Turks to scatter at the approach of the Indian Army, as did the Pushtun and Punjabi tribesmen they were accustomed to attacking. Townshend's easy victories at Amara and Es Sinn served to reinforce not only his own hubris, but that of the entire Indian High Command. Warnings from London were ignored, and the Imperial General Staff was told to mind its own business and let India take care of the Turks.

After the catastrophic loss at Kut, everything changed. London was no longer prepared to let the Delhi cowboys run their own show. General Sir Frederick Stanley Maude was sent to take charge of the Mesopotamia Campaign. A career officer, born on the British Army base in Gibraltar, General Maude had a traditional Sandhurst education, had served in adjutant positions in South Africa and Canada, and had seen combat in France and on the beaches of Gallipoli, but never in India. A careful and methodical planner, he was pretty much the opposite of adventurers like Arthur Barrett, Charles Townshend, and George Gorringe. In fact, Maude was nicknamed "Systematic Joe" for his cautious approach.

The wild and crazy days on the Mesopotamian Front were over. With Systematic Joe in charge, t's were to be crossed and i's were to be dotted! A new advance up the Tigris began on the night of 13/14 December. British victory was on the way, not with spectacular adventures like the previous year, but solid, methodical, and very British.

General Sir Frederick Stanley Maude, KCB, CMG, DSO

Photo in the public domain, Source The Illustrated War News. Volume 4. London: Illustrated London News and Sketch, Ltd. p. 31. via https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sir_F._Stanley_Maude.jpg

22 players start

Tournament Round 1: The Indian Army (map=Indian Empire) had plunged into Mesopotamia (map=Gilgamesh) full of confidence, fueled by the hubris of men like Arthur Barrett (map=Mongol Empire) and Charles Townshend (map=Dark Continent). They considered the Ottomans (map=WWI Ottoman) just another Asiatic tribe, to be easily swept aside. This adventurer's credo led to early success but eventually to crushing defeat.
10 X 1v1 games, two on each map listed, site default settings

Scores reset, 14 players advance

Tournament Round 2: General Maude, born in Gibraltar, served in adjutant positions in Canada and South Africa, and saw combat in France and Gallipoli before taking over command in Mesopotamia. Maude's nickname, Systematic Joe, accurately portrayed what kind of an officer he was.
(maps=Europa (for Gibraltar), Canada, South Africa, France, and Gallipoli))
5 X Poly3, one on each map listed, no spoils and foggy

Scores reset, 7 players advance

Tournament Round 3: A new offensive up the Tigris began on the night of December 13 to 14
Map=Battle for Iraq!
5 X 7-player Standard games, 1 each of flat, esc, nuke, zombie, and no spoils, all chained, all foggy, randomly trenchy.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Okay, looking forward to the usual complaints about too many events at the end of the year, I'm looking at easing off the throttle for both USA and the Great War.

The first parameter are the Christmas event and the 12 Anniversary event. (Admin-level events)

7 Days of Conquer Club Dec. 22 to 28.
12 Anniversary Event Jan. 1 to TBD.

For USA, I'm planning as follows:
Michigan Dec. 5th
Minnesota Dec. 12th

(first break Dec. 19th)
Mississippi Dec. 26th
(second break Jan 2nd)
resume full speed with Missouri Jan 9th.

For Great War, I'm planning as follows:
Kostiuchnowka Dec 8th
Rumania Part 2 Dec. 11th
Maghdaba Dec. 14th
Second Kut Dec. 15th

long-ish break
resume full speed with the Battle of Khadairi Bend, January 9th

This should avoid having too much stuff competing with the admin-level events. There will be no new Great War tourneys and only one new USA tourney during the critical two weeks of the major celebrations.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ConfederateSS on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:04 am

-----So The Great War has pulled fully into 1917/18...With the start of the 9th....:)...Yes ,I know 3 rounds as we race to 1918...Hopefully by May...TGW will be right there,on target...for 11-11-18... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D ....But TGW could be extended another 6 plus months after Nov.1918...into 1919....With the Treaty of Versailles(when the war was officially over),The Paris Peace Conference(giving us the problems of today in the Middle East) and the forming of The League of Nations(yes voted on in 1919 took effect in 1920,it's failure leading to cause ww2)... :D :D :D
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby Symmetry on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:43 pm

ConfederateSS wrote:-----So The Great War has pulled fully into 1917/18...With the start of the 9th....:)...Yes ,I know 3 rounds as we race to 1918...Hopefully by May...TGW will be right there,on target...for 11-11-18... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D ....But TGW could be extended another 6 plus months after Nov.1918...into 1919....With the Treaty of Versailles(when the war was officially over),The Paris Peace Conference(giving us the problems of today in the Middle East) and the forming of The League of Nations(yes voted on in 1919 took effect in 1920,it's failure leading to cause ww2)... :D :D :D

For a guy who still flies the stars and bars, and celebrates Nazi Holocaust war criminals, complaining about dragging things out seems a bit perverse.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby ConfederateSS on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 pm

------I think ROY G. BIV was warned about posting in this area...
----------I guess ROY doesn't know what the word EXTENDED means...who's complaining about dragging it out...How is Roy's event doing,did it ever get off the ground,or was that B.S. like everything out of Roy's mouth...
-----------A lot of Native Americans fly the CSA flags...Ever herd of THE INDIAN(Native Americans) CONFEDERACY,or maybe they had ancestors who fought for the CSA...under flags like...THE CHEROKEE AND CHOCTAW REGIMENTS...OR MAYBE THEY LIKE SOMEONE WHO STOOD UP TO THE USA...THEY LIKE GIVING the stars and stripes and the union jack...the middle finger...I wonder why? ;)
-----------I wish lots of events in time,people or people of military commanders real,or pretend ones on C.C...HAPPY BIRTHDAYS...Or events so they are not lost in time...As P.C.ers try and erase history to serve their hopeless agendas...WHAT THE HELL IS THE DIFFERENCE,IN THE USA IN 2017,ANYONE WOULD BE ABLE TO HIDE OUT IN SANCTUARY CITIES ,THANKS TO LIBERALS....SO who an the hell cares about who or who is,or is or is not a criminal...Only God will decide those things when their time is up...As for the one who ,yes ,was not one who was running for St. hood .....He only was serving His Prussia...As he knew it...he also served his time,unlike a lot of certain people liberals protect....I think all those people who live years after the fact,who think they are doing something ,are full of shit...If they lived in a certain time in history...They would go with the flow,to save their family's ass,BUT MORE IMPORTANT,THEIR OWN...Not that I care....But there is a kids movie coming out...The BULL is named after Ferdinand...We all know after who .....WHAT????...Roy better contact Disney...they are honoring a person who committed crimes against humanity...SPANISH INQUISITION...Although who cares....Man will always go on killing man...nothing will change that fact.....For man is an animal too......Someone cue Rex Harrison... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Postby Symmetry on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:21 pm

ConfederateSS wrote:------I think ROY G. BIV was warned about posting in this area...
----------I guess ROY doesn't know what the word EXTENDED means...who's complaining about dragging it out...How is Roy's event doing,did it ever get off the ground,or was that B.S. like everything out of Roy's mouth...
-----------A lot of Native Americans fly the CSA flags...Ever herd of THE INDIAN(Native Americans) CONFEDERACY,or maybe they had ancestors who fought for the CSA...under flags like...THE CHEROKEE AND CHOCTAW REGIMENTS...OR MAYBE THEY LIKE SOMEONE WHO STOOD UP TO THE USA...THEY LIKE GIVING the stars and stripes and the union jack...the middle finger...I wonder why? ;)
-----------I wish lots of events in time,people or people of military commanders real,or pretend ones on C.C...HAPPY BIRTHDAYS...Or events so they are not lost in time...As P.C.ers try and erase history to serve their hopeless agendas...WHAT THE HELL IS THE DIFFERENCE,IN THE USA IN 2017,ANYONE WOULD BE ABLE TO HIDE OUT IN SANCTUARY CITIES ,THANKS TO LIBERALS....SO who an the hell cares about who or who is,or is or is not a criminal...Only God will decide those things when their time is up...As for the one who ,yes ,was not one who was running for St. hood .....He only was serving His Prussia...As he knew it...he also served his time,unlike a lot of certain people liberals protect....I think all those people who live years after the fact,who think they are doing something ,are full of shit...If they lived in a certain time in history...They would go with the flow,to save their family's ass,BUT MORE IMPORTANT,THEIR OWN...Not that I care....But there is a kids movie coming out...The BULL is named after Ferdinand...We all know after who .....WHAT????...Roy better contact Disney...they are honoring a person who committed crimes against humanity...SPANISH INQUISITION...Although who cares....Man will always go on killing man...nothing will change that fact.....For man is an animal too......Someone cue Rex Harrison... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D

I think I might have broke the Nazi guy. Sorry.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:03 am

Shoop76 has been offline for six months and he's still at the top of the scoreboard. Not for much longer, I'm sure. Still, it really drives home how much he really did dominate this series.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ConfederateSS on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:28 pm

----I think Wayward Day has finally gotten Reset The Scores...Down...Can see the benefit in a 3 or 5 round tourney... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D 8-) Just got back from a KOOL bike ride...from dumping Tea in the Detroit River...Party on...Dec.16th,1773.... 8-)
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Postby LiveLoveTeach on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:22 am

Dukasaur wrote:The Spreadsheet

The spreadsheet is currently up to date.

The newest tournaments do not have their individual iterations linked yet - look for that to be updated after the new year, when all are done re-iterating! :)
Major LiveLoveTeach

Postby ConfederateSS on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:05 pm

-----Coming Soon...after A Merry Christmas(the war on Christmas is over...Honoring those souls of X-MAS WWI -1914 :)...)...After Jan. 9th,2017...more adventures of a trapped in time(The Great War)... Wayward Day...:) =D> ... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D ...Starting with the Battle(Naval) of Nahr-al-Kalek!!!!!
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Postby ConfederateSS on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:10 pm

-----Battle(Naval) of Nahr-al-Kalek.....Story Line...
-------------Monday...Feb. 26th,1917....----------

----------Well it seems as if I Wayward Day was never going to wake up. But early this morning of the 25th of Feb. in the year of our Lord 1917. I awoke by way of a wave of water splashing over me. As I staggered to my feet,slipping and sliding. I looked down to see a wooden floor. As I looked up, my eyes could see water. I realized the wooden floor was a deck. I was on a boat of some kind. Within minutes my clothes along with the deck were bone dry. It felt as if I was standing on the surface of THE SUN itself. Past the shoreline, all I could see was sand. It seems I was somewhere in The Middle East by my surroundings.
-----As I look to the rear of the boat, the first thing that catches my eye. Is a Red flag with a crescent moon, one star on it, flapping in the wind. As the boat speeds up. No sooner than I think,damn that's the flag of THE OTTOMAN EMPIRE. "English!",someone shouts.
-----As I turn towards the person shouting. I see I am in a British uniform. I am facing 10 sailors of the Turkish navy. Before I head over to them. I think what am I doing on a boat of The Ottoman Empire, wearing a British uniform. I fear I am about to find out.
-----As it appears,I am guessing because of my satchel, I speak Turkish, quite well. The men move towards me as the boat slows down. The boat turns down a little narrow stretch of water. We dock next to a place where a boat is being assembled.
-----One of the Turkish sailors yells,"English, we brought you here. A while back we captured one of your country's gunboats..."THE FIREFLY". It was taken apart by your navy. But they were not trying to destroy it. They were trying to transport it across land. When our forces stopped them.
-----"You want me to put it together for you I suppose?",I ask.
-----"Yes, that is correct English.",he said pointing in the direction of the FIREFLY.
-----I manage to get the FIREFLY up and running, ship shape if you will. It was kinda easy, as the gunboats of this type, were made to be taken apart and put back together quickly. They were first made in Scotland. These seemed to only take a few hours to be put in working order.
-----As the Turks fired up the steam powered engine. One of them raised the Ottoman flag a top the FIREFLY'S mast. It seems both me and the FIREFLY now sail for the Ottoman Empire. As I sit down with some of the Turkish sailors. They begin to tell me of the events that are taking place. General Maude of The British Empire has recaptured the city of KUT. The British armies are pushing the Turkish armies backwards, out of Mesopotamia. Right now our Turkish troops flee the British by hugging the Tigris River.
-----"We are at Nahr-al-Kalek,near Al Aziziyah, some 30 kilometers from Kut. Racing to give cover to our retreating army.",laughed a sailor with a thick black mustache covering his smile.
-----As we leave the narrow waterway and are back in the main body of the Tigris. The FIREFLY and the Turkish boat I started on,are joined by two other Turkish gunboats. I still don't know why the Turks have me on board. Or have kept me alive. Sure I can speak many languages. I'm sure they wanted my help with the FIREFLY. But I am wearing an Army's Major's uniform. Not one an English sailor would wear. Or maybe the Turks do not know. Anyway the day is nearing and end. I feel so will I, if I don't get off this boat. I don't think I am needed anymore. Since the FIREFLY is up and running...Or is it?;)
-----With night falling upon the water. I can see the start of Monday Feb. 26th,1917. Is going to be a moonless night. This will be my only chance to make an escape. As I look through my field glasses, I keep in my satchel. I rotate around clockwise. A long way down the river Tigris, I can see three bright lights. They appear, go away, appear, go away. I wonder, could that be someone other than the Turks.
-----As it gets later, as the hours of darkness pass. It appears, all hands on board the boat are asleep. All but a worn out old soul,he reminds me of Gunga Din. Who alone stands guard over the anchored FIREFLY. I reach into my satchel and pull out 4 bottles of Napoleon brandy. I sit down next to the old sailor, open one of the bottles and take a sip. I motion the bottle at him. He smiles, takes the bottle and starts drinking. I open another bottle quickly before he can hand me his back. I must have had only 6 swallows of brandy. Before the old sailor had drunk all the brandy, from all 4 bottles. He soon laid on the deck of the boat, fast asleep.
-----As I made my way around the FIREFLY. I did a little tinkering. I then noticed a long object had been placed on the side of the boat. No tube, but the object was a torpedo. I thought to myself , if Slim Pickens rode a missile once in a movie. Hell, I could do the same with a torpedo. I lowered the torpedo in the water. I hurried down the rope holding the torpedo. Lucky the FIREFLY and the torpedo now face in the direction of the 3 lights I noticed earlier. I managed to pry open a panel back by the propeller. With my Swiss Army knife. I got on the torpedo. Did something to make the propeller start working.
-----I cut the rope, and off into the moonless water I went. Not a sound could be heard. Only the bubbles from the torpedo's wake in the water could be seen, if it were light out. Past the other 3 Turkish boats, I zipped by. Holding my breathe and praying my ass off. You better believe I thought God was everything at the moment. I traveled as far up the river as the torpedo had fuel. Then it stopped suddenly and slowly sank in the river. I could make out 3 ship like shapes, in the water a half a mile in front of me. I proceeded to swim towards them as if I was an Olympic Gold Medalist. Ottoman,British or whoever ,I was willing to gamble. I have nothing to lose now, I have gone to far to stop and worry now.
-----As I approached one of the boats I seen earlier in the night. I saw a flash, then a cracking sound of a firing rifle. A bullet bounced through the water next to me. "WHOA!",I screamed. "I am a British officer!",I desperately cried out,crossing my fingers,it was a British boat.
-----Soon a search light rained down on me.
-----"Hold on there, we are sending someone to you.",replied someone from the boat.
-----A small wooden rowboat came next to me. With 2 men holding rifles in my direction. One other reaching over the side. To pull me aboard. As I get in the rowboat. One of the sailors holding a rifle, says to the other rifleman,"Looky what we fished out of the water. One of those pretty soldier boys."
-----"Yeah,Yeah I laughed , just take me to the Captain.",I said smiling.
-----"Right away Major!",shouted the sailor who pulled me in.
-----I didn't have to wait to long to meet the Skipper. He was on deck as we boarded the boat.
-----"Hey there, Major I am Captain Henry Graham Sherbrooke , my gunboat is called THE TARANTULA,Welcome aboard.",he said.
-----"Thank you kindly Captain, I am Major Wayward Day. Could we go to your quarters and talk?',I asked.
-----As he nodded yes, we proceeded to Cpt. Sherbrooke's quarters, we sat down and began to chat. He told me he was ordered to lead a flotilla down river to chase the Turkish army. I would tell him of my escape off the Turkish fleet. Also how I tinkered a little,making the FIREFLY ready to break down and I disarmed it's main gun by damaging the firing pin, before I left.
-----"Major, my small fleet of 3 gunboats,THE TARANTULA, THE MANTIS, THE MOTH and a 4th boat the GNAT,which is at Kut at the moment. But will join us in a few days. From what you tell me Major, with the FIREFLY going to surprise the Turks. The Turks will be down to 3 boats like us. I have decided not to wait for the GNAT. It should be a good battle on the river. I have gone to far up the river than I was suppose to. But fate has brought us all here for a reason today, I intend to make the most of it."
-----"Captain, you don't know the half of it.",I said smiling. I thought to myself, if he only knew, as I tapped my satchel.
-----By daybreak we finally reached the part of the river at Nahr-al-Kalek. As the SUN was rising in the sky. Shells were starting to fall from above. They splashed down all around our gunboat force. We have been spotted and are under attack by the Turkish gunboat flotilla. Being led by the FIREFLY that I had just come from not even a day ago. Cpt. Sherbrooke turns our gunboats and their guns towards the Turkish navy.
-----"FIRE AT WILL!",shouted Cpt. Sherbrooke through a megaphone. Now both sides were blasting away. at each other. A splash here, a splash there, it felt like I'm in a real life Battleship Game. I was waiting for someone to Yell,"You sank my Battleship and make the kaboom jester." Then a load BANG!, a Turkish shell hit the MOTH, shattered the mast with The Union Jack on it. A few sailors were shaken up , minor injuries , nothing serious. The flag was flown a top the top of the conning tower. Meanwhile the FIREFLY slowed down dead in the water and stopped firing. It appears my sabotage had worked. With the FIREFLY out of the battle. The British gunners on board their boats. Out dueled their Turkish counter parts. Sinking all 3 Turkish built gunboats. All hands went down with their ships. You could hear some of the Turkish sailors screaming. As they were in oil filled water on fire. They were being burned alive in the middle of a river.
-----Our 3 gunboats reached the FIREFLY and surrounded it. No sooner then the Red Flag with a crescent moon an one star go down. A white flag went up. As the remaining Turks gave themselves up. Our little band of ships now including the FIREFLY, recaptured and repaired in the blink of an eye. We headed back down the Tigris towards Kut. Along the way I made sure the Turkish prisoners of the FIREFLY were treated with respect. For when I sailed with them, they treated me as if I was one of their own.
-----All of a sudden our fleet's guns were blazing a trail of fire and steel once again. as our gunners spotted fleeing Turks along the shoreline. They were part of the army that had been beaten out Kut a few days before. When our shells hit the beaches, spraying sand 30 feet in the air. The Turks gave up. We took over 700 prisoners , this time of the Turkish army, to add to our Turkish navy captives. Again we treated them with respect. We could be taken more prisoners, dealt a more massive attack , but our gunboats had out run our own infantry. So capturing all of the Turks fleeing Kut, was out of the question. A lot of the Turkish land forces got away, to fight another day.
-----As we pull into Kut. The British Army takes the Turkish prisoners of war off our hands,to a peaceful location. A TOTAL BRITISH VICTORY. As General Maude head of all British forces in the area, awards Cpt. Henry Graham Sherbrooke the DSO or The Distinguished Service Order. For his acts of command and bravery on the Tigris river. Destroying the enemy's forces on the river.
-----I say good bye to the gunboat fleet, and gave Cpt.Sherbrooke a pat on the back. For General Maude asked me if I would go back with him, to his command center.
-----I quickly said,"Yes sir, General , It would be an Honor to go back with you."
-----Looks like I'll be warm for a while..........
Last edited by ConfederateSS on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:48 am, edited 7 times in total.
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Postby ConfederateSS on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:18 pm

---Battle(Naval) of Nahr-al-Kalek...Tournament...---
----------------Monday...Feb.26th,1917...-------

----------1/3..............................18 Player Tournament...----

------------Wayward Day's Diary: Feb. 26th, 1917...----------
-----------------The Battle(Naval) of Nahr-al-Kalek took place just a few days after The British recaptured the city of Kut from the Ottoman Empire. Captain Henry Graham Sherbrooke was to attack fleeing Turkish troops from their defeat at Kut. As they retreated along the banks of the Tigris river. But Cpt. Sherbrooke over shot his own army and ended up 30 kilometers down river. His 3 British gunboats soon came under attack near Nahr-al-Kalek...4 gunboats of the Turkish navy fired away. Including a British gunboat called THE FIREFLY, which the Turks captured earlier. Cpt. Sherbrooke's gunboat THE TARANTULA along with the Mantis and the Moth, returned fire. Destroying the 3 built Turkish boats, and recaptured the British gunboat THE FIREFLY. On the British fleet's way back to Kut, the fleet captured 700 Turkish soldiers fleeing from their defeat at Kut along the Tigris river's shoreline. A TOTAL BRITISH VICTORY.

Round 1)
18 players start and 12 move on. Maps: Egypt:lower, Land and Sea, High Seas: 3,1-vs-1 games on each map.,Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Unlimited,20 rounds.

Round 2)
12 players start and 6 move on. Scores Reset:Map: Eastern Hemisphere, 5,6-player games: Terminator, Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Unlimited,20 rounds.

Round 3)
6 players start. Scores Reset: Maps: Battle of Actium, Spanish Armada, Trafalgar, 3,6-player games on each map.:Terminator, Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Unlimited,20 rounds.
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:52 pm

Ukey has now moved into sole posession of 1st place!

Ukey has been tied for first many times in this series, but I believe this is the first time that he's holding top spot by himself.

Congratulations Ukey!!!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby robellis00 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:00 pm

I think this is the third time I have brought this up, but just in case anyone else feels the same:
Hey, I don't want to make more work for somebody, but isn't it about time we got some new maps for the token criteria? Sept 2014 was a long time ago, the last time new maps were approved. Here are some of my suggestions. Baltic States, Duck and Cover, Europa, Knights, Macedonia, Seige!, Steamworks, WWI Ottoman Empire, Yugoslavia.

Anyone else got any ideas?
Lieutenant robellis00

Postby ConfederateSS on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:37 am

robellis00 wrote:I think this is the third time I have brought this up, but just in case anyone else feels the same:
Hey, I don't want to make more work for somebody, but isn't it about time we got some new maps for the token criteria? Sept 2014 was a long time ago, the last time new maps were approved. Here are some of my suggestions. Baltic States, Duck and Cover, Europa, Knights, Macedonia, Seige!, Steamworks, WWI Ottoman Empire, Yugoslavia.

Anyone else got any ideas?

----Rebel00.......The Great War has used those maps for the past 9 months...Duk,Joe,Gibi,and I have used all of them,(Europa/Europe)...I haven't....But the others might have...Look at the maps when joining tourney...I'll make sure Wayward shakes things up a little map wise...For The Glory of THE SOUTH... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:) ...But the High Command(Big W)...will have to take care of the token dropping...I think he over sees such things...But that is something Duk could answer better... ;) ...I hear what you're saying Rebel...double naught...:)...If it were me,they would be dropping more often on every map...the more drops...could mean...more players...more premium players...Big W...cha...ching... :mrgreen: =D>
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives