Conquer Club

November 2017 - 500 yrs of 95 Theses

An area holding all of the past and current Monthly Challenges.

Moderator: Community Team

November 2017 - 500 yrs of 95 Theses

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:06 pm

Official Monthly Challenge for November 2017
Brought to you by the Community Team.

CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES

On October 31st, 1517*, Martin Luther posted 95 Theses on the door of a church in Wittenberg. At the time it must have seemed like a minor point. After all, academic disputes are common. It can be said that a scholar's job is to disagree. In retrospect this publication was seen as the beginning of the Reformation, a total upheaval of Western Christianity that still resonates today.

The actual details of the theses aren't all that interesting. Theologians are always discussing, re-adjusting and bringing the message of Christianity into the current era. What is interesting is that over the previous thousand years, the bishop of Rome, papa or pope became the accepted leader of Western Christianity and the Reformation changed that. The controversy caused by Luther created a brand new episcopate structure in Germany. This was followed by a split of the Church in England then the Calvinist movement and culminated 100 years later in the Thirty Years War, which brought about the end of Feudalism and the effective end of the Holy Roman Empire, ending a period in History which began with Clovis' conversion to Christianity in the 5th century.

The first three theses amount to a conception of repentance, which indicate that repentance is a personal endeavor, not one administered by the church. Luther was writing during the Renaissance, when the ideas of individualism which are so predominant today were just beginning. It's easy to read through a modern lens and say "obviously repentance is personal" but what makes it obvious is years of Luther's thought influencing that modern perspective. Taken to the extreme, this would mean that repentance is only personal, and has nothing to do with the church at all, which is a common sentiment today.

500 years later, Luther's influence is starting to be challenged. In 2009, Catholics and Lutherans drafted a "Joint Statement on Justification" which would have been unthinkable for much of the previous 500 years, as the different doctrines of Justification were one of the things that Luther considered irreconcilable with Roman Catholicism. Modern Lutherans also started what is called the "New Perspective on Paul" which argues that Luther misunderstood Paul's writings on justification by works as not being against good works in general per se, but rather against Jewish identity-related works in particular.

The maps this month represent 2 things that are in their tail years (the Holy Roman Empire and Feudalism) and one thing that is in full swing (the age of Exploration). The Portuguese had already gone to India via sea. Columbus had already reached America. Panama had been crossed, and the Conquistadors were about to start subjugating the Aztecs. There have been a lot of German-themed challenges this year, so these maps will provide a historical setting, rather than a direct connection.

*The Julian calendar was still in use then, so even though "Reformation Sunday" is celebrated most places in October, it could also be in November.

NO SIGN-UPS REQUIRED

SETTINGS
Maps: Holy Roman Empire, Feudal War, and High Seas
Players Per Game: 6
Game Type: Terminator or Standard
Initial Troops: Automatic
Play Order: Sequential or Freestyle
Spoils: Escalating or No Spoils
Reinforcements: Chained or Parachute
FOG: MANDATORY
TRENCH: Optional
Round Limit: Any
Round Length: Any
Joinablility: Public Only

MEDAL CRITERIA
Tokens are for WINS only.
95 points are required for a medal and at least ONE of each token type.

Each GOLD Token is worth 15 points - Holy Roman Empire
Each SILVER Token is worth 10 points - Feudal War
Each BRONZE Token is worth 5 point - High Seas

NOVEMBER SCOREBOARD

Notes
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Re: November Challenge

Postby CatchersMitt14 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:37 pm

FAQs:

Who can play a Challenge?
Challenges are open to everyone!

How do I join?
No signups required. Join and/or create games that meet the given parameters for this month as found in the OP. Only public games count towards the challenge unless otherwise explicitly stated in the challenge OP. There is also a "join games" link in the OP to provide an easy list of qualifying games.

What are the prizes?
All players who meet or exceed the minimum number of required points for the month will earn a Challenge Achievement Medal. The point requirements change every month as we aim to provide a vast assortment of challenges which includes a varying level of difficulty.
In addition to the CA medal, the first place finisher receives: 1 Green Conquer Star
And the 2nd-5th place finishers receive: 1 Blue Conquer Star

When do I get my prize?
My goal is always to award prizes during the week following the completion of the event.

How do we deal with deadbeating?
Please report deadbeats in your games by sending me a PM. I will periodically do a random check however I cannot monitor every game. We will evaluate the distribution of prizes to a violating player on a case by case basis.

Tiebreakers?
Ties are awarded to the player who reached the point threshold first.

A player has me foed and it is preventing me from joining a lot of challenge games. What can I do?
PM the player in question. Be courteous and non-accusatory, ask why you are foed. Do your best to resolve any issues with the other user in this manner. However, if they decided not to remove you from their foe list then you will need to join games without that player or start your own.

What if I want to run a parallel tournament to the challenge?
Okay, awesome! Individual tournaments can be added to the challenges so that those games drop tokens. Send me a PM and we will get it added for the month.

Rulings:
1. Deadbeats will have entry points stripped.
2. Wins by round limit will drop tokens.
3. Inventory relating to the challenge will vanish at the end of the year.
4. Bot games do not drop tokens.
5. Any unforeseen abuse is still abuse. Don't take advantage of the system.

If you have any further questions or issues not covered here please either post in the active challenge thread or PM CatchersMitt14.

Last Updated: February 2017
11:36:19 ‹Swifte› #RazYouUselessTwit
Captain CatchersMitt14

Re: November Challenge

Postby CatchersMitt14 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:56 pm

OP updated by Yoshi with the challenge details.

Enjoy!
Captain CatchersMitt14

Re: November 2017 - 500 yrs of 95 Theses

Postby jimmyd1963 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:53 am

Nicely written. The only thing I would disagree with is that the details of the 95 theses were very important. They publicly denounced the church's corruption through false man made doctrines. The fact it was in Germany is pretty awesome. The place where the first printing press was invented. Which, by the way, the Guttenberg bible was the first thing mass produced and distributed to the public. Now that really ticked off the establishment and Mr. Guttenberg went on the Lamb. Common folk could now read the words of scripture and see for themselves what they really said. Exposing the false doctrines. Of course it was not only illegal to print the bible, it was illegal to possess one.
Sergeant 1st Class jimmyd1963

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:35 pm

jimmyd1963 wrote:Nicely written. The only thing I would disagree with is that the details of the 95 theses were very important. They publicly denounced the church's corruption through false man made doctrines. The fact it was in Germany is pretty awesome. The place where the first printing press was invented. Which, by the way, the Guttenberg bible was the first thing mass produced and distributed to the public. Now that really ticked off the establishment and Mr. Guttenberg went on the Lamb. Common folk could now read the words of scripture and see for themselves what they really said. Exposing the false doctrines. Of course it was not only illegal to print the bible, it was illegal to possess one.

Thank you. I meant by not important that none of the five solae which would eventually dominate the protestant reformation were included in the 95 theses, at least not directly.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby rousseau72 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks for the nice historical perspective. I love history but I think I was not into the reformation at the time of study so I missed out on this :)
N
Colonel rousseau72

Postby GaryDenton on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:32 am

Trench, No Spoils, No round limit, simple map like Feudal War - isn't this a recipe for very long games?
Corporal GaryDenton

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:10 am

GaryDenton wrote:Trench, No Spoils, No round limit, simple map like Feudal War - isn't this a recipe for very long games?

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't join any on that setting.

Just because a setting is allowed doesn't mean its wise....:)

I accidentally joined a freestyle one, which is also allowed, but other than that, the only ones I'm joining are sequential, escalating, no trench.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby GaryDenton on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:50 pm

Yes, I accidentally joined one and realized people could be slugging it out for many weeks.
Corporal GaryDenton

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:23 pm

Sorry Gary, I probably should have done Round Limits: Mandatory. It's the first challenge I've done in a while so I forgot about that.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Symmetry on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:01 pm

jimmyd1963 wrote:Nicely written. The only thing I would disagree with is that the details of the 95 theses were very important. They publicly denounced the church's corruption through false man made doctrines. The fact it was in Germany is pretty awesome. The place where the first printing press was invented. Which, by the way, the Guttenberg bible was the first thing mass produced and distributed to the public. Now that really ticked off the establishment and Mr. Guttenberg went on the Lamb. Common folk could now read the words of scripture and see for themselves what they really said. Exposing the false doctrines. Of course it was not only illegal to print the bible, it was illegal to possess one.

To be fair, Luther himself was a monk, and the monastic orders of the time had their own issues with Papal authority. It's easy to have a go at the idea that the Bible was considered illegal, but it's better to think about the culture of the time. Imagine that the Bible, printed in vernacular, could be mistranslated, or even deliberately re-written (it's happened before, according to most scholars of the Bible, after all).

Take the KJV for example- a print Bible that was made for political ends.

Probably worth more of a discussion in the forums though. Start a thread- it's an interesting topic.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:38 pm

Made one last batch of games. These all have to fill within the next 24 hours or they're useless.

Please join 1 or 2 of them...:)

Game 17876521
Game 17876520
Game 17876519
Game 17876518
Game 17876517

Thanking you in advance...:)
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby MSpitts24 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm travelling and don't have a calculator handy, but does this mean there were 47,500 Theses? That'd be a lot of damn theses. are they all accounted for? Do some people owe some steep library fees on unreturned Theses? These things keep me up at night
Major MSpitts24

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:30 pm

We've got lumps of it round the back.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:43 pm

6th place.

<sigh>
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:51 pm

Dukasaur wrote:6th place.

<sigh>

The lady doth protest too much, methinks
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:17 am

DoomYoshi wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:6th place.

<sigh>

The lady doth protest too much, methinks

What? Art thou drawn among these heartless hinds?
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby DJENRE on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:19 am

Hello,
When are the prizes given away?
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em
YOU LIKE MONOPOLY? PLAY IT on CC => CONQUEROPOLY
YOU'RE A MEDAL HUNTER? HUNT ALL THE MEDALS YOU NEED HERE!
BIG TRIBE TOURNAMENT VI NATIONS 2018
Corporal 1st Class DJENRE

Location: ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

Postby CatchersMitt14 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:11 am

DJENRE wrote:Hello,
When are the prizes given away?

Next week.
Captain CatchersMitt14

Postby CatchersMitt14 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:37 pm