Conquer Club

British Isles [Done]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

British Isles [Done]

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:29 am

For what it's worth:

Image (alt+p)[/img]
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby johnnyrotten on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:42 am

Seems pretty good to me, although I count 29 territories in all, which would leave neutral territories.
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:13 am

Only 29 countries??? :? You will need more countries... 42 at a minimum (I think).

And the bonus arent correct:
Scotland: 6 countries, 3 in border - bonus 3
Anglia: 6 countries, 4 in border - bonus 7 :shock:

The idea is good... Put more countries, I think it will be good.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:18 am

.... 42?! That's a lot. The Islands have only so many regions.... This map could be for quicky type games.

... I'll check the atlas maps and see what I come up with. Thanks for the input!

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:33 am

Hmmm, maybe its a map for 3-4 players games, huh? Ok, in this case, 32 countries at least (36 is also a good number...)

See, those countries in Ireland / Scotland are big and can be splitted... In the other hand, you cant put both name and number in a territory as small as London (make it a little bigger). You should also think about number of continents: if the map is for a lower number of players, maybe 5 continents are fine. No need for a gigantic continent as Asia here. Put 2 minor continents, one medium, and two major, that will be our Europe and North America. No reason for bonuses greater than 5, too.

Only to mention: I loved that shield in upper right corner.
Major Marvaddin

Postby johnnyrotten on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:35 am

Also, you could include the Isle of Wight on the south coast...
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Postby kingwaffles on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:46 am

Pretty sweet map! I think it woould be fun to be able to play it with just 2 or 3 people.
Corporal 1st Class kingwaffles

Postby GOD on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:03 am

definitly a good map, i agree that more territories should be added, but this is much better than some of the random crap that comes through here.
Sergeant GOD

Postby max is gr8 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:21 am

Nobunaga wrote:.... 42?! That's a lot. The Islands have only so many regions.... This map could be for quicky type games.

... I'll check the atlas maps and see what I come up with. Thanks for the input!

HERE'S an idea use the counties as countries and sections like NORTH WEST, SOUTH, MIDLANDS then it would be better
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Pedronicus on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:52 pm

add the isle of Anglesea to wales.

call anglia - south east or home counties
Major Pedronicus

Postby HighBorn on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:56 pm

i agree needs more countrys but it would be a VERY good map for 3 people
Private 1st Class HighBorn

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:38 pm

... So much helpful input, I'm grateful. I was sure my little map was going to get trashed to oblivion here. Glad I was wrong!

... I'm going to work on adding countries, changing names (Anglia, etc..), etc... today at work, while I pretend to be busy with official business! Haha.

... I'll post it again for your input when I've done some work on it. And thanks again!

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:41 pm

... also, IS there a general formula for determining "continent" bonuses? I pretty much just made them with gut feeling, intending to work that out later.

... Any help in that regard would also be much appreciated.

Postby supermarcol on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:57 pm

Hmm, I don't think there is a general formula. You have to go with your guts. But in general you have to keep in mind the number of countries in the continent, the number of entry points, the number of different continent accessible and the linearity of the continent. Best way to go is to look at the classic map. Try to figure out which of your continent is closest to which of those and try to match. Then you tweak a little. Doesnt garantee something good, specially if you decide to go for a different kind of balance in your map (classic: 2 small 1 medium, 2 large, 1 humongous). Thats why its important to discuss the maps a lot before they go online.
-SuperMarcol
Sergeant 1st Class supermarcol

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:01 pm

... Thanks for that. We'll hammer the bonuses out after I somehow squeeze 42 "countries" into this map. The names of these places in the British Isles are extraordinarily long in many cases. I'm bypassing those and using the names of other, less lengthy region names, which are located in the general proximity. And no doubt players who hail from the Islands will have much to say about its inaccuracy in this regard.

... But that's for later discussions.

Postby Nobunaga on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:29 am

... That's 42 "Countries" ! Feedback, please, and don't hesitate to be blunt! Thank you.

Postby HighBorn on Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:14 am

green needs at least 1 more conecting but other than that it looks great bro
Private 1st Class HighBorn

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:19 pm

Wow, this map is good.

Country dispersion: 11, 7, 7, 7, 5, 5... pretty different, but I like it. You will need some non-crossing borders, as I added in my Brazil map. Because the number of border countries arent balanced, specially in Wales, see:

Continent - # countries - # of border countries - (my suggestions)
Gray - 5 - 1 (Oceania!! - bonus: 2)
Yellow - 5 - 5 :shock: (number of borders should be 3 at maximum, maybe a barrier between Powys / Gwent and Shropshire / Cheshire can help you; bonus: 3, with 3 border countries)
Brown - 7 - 3 (Africa!! - bonus: 3)
Pink - 7 - 5 (Europe!! - bonus: 5; ps: it can be attacked from 7 places, so maybe some barriers, too)
Green - 7 - 2 (very easy to hold; one more connection is good, maybe between Leinster and Gwynedd, or another, its only connect a country of Ireland to a country of another continent that is already a border country; bonus: 3, with 3 border countries)
Blue - 11 - 6 (very difficult to hold, and this is the idea, I know; I suggest you block attack routes from other continents to Lincolnshire and Shropshire; there will be 4 border countries, and bonus of 6 is fine)

Cant wait to play... the art is fine too, but I liked much more the first shield. Thats it!
Major Marvaddin

Postby max is gr8 on Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:49 pm

Nobunaga wrote:Image

... That's 42 "Countries" ! Feedback, please, and don't hesitate to be blunt! Thank you.

OK Qynedd to Meath SHOULD BE connected as my sisters bofriend who lives in wales works on a ferry from anglesey to that area.

BONUSES=
ANGLIA = 6
SCOTLAND = 4
IRELAND = 3 (WITHOUT ADAPTION) = 4 With adaption.
THE NORTH = 5 or 6
LANDS END = 2
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Nobunaga on Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:28 pm

... Thanks, Guys!

.... Keep the comments coming! Let me ask,

1: Are some of the territories too small to be playable? In your opinion? I'm trying to imagine that circular text BG stuck over all these territories...

2: Anybody from the UK looking at this map might might be laughing, thinking, "Hey! Those two aren't connected!" and, ""Hey!, ***** isn't nearly that large!", etc.... My answer to that is, TRY fitting the words, "Staffordshire", or "Carmarthenshire" (for example) on a one and a half centimeter space! IS it yet playable, even with a few geograhic "allowances"?

Thank you.

Postby thegrimsleeper on Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:46 pm

I was wondering about this. One of the challenges is creating spaces that are going to be large enough to fit text AND a number onto. Here are my suggestions, do with them what you will.

Divide Highlands into North and South, giving you a total of 43.
"Unroll" Meath's western border, so that it connects with Galway. This will give you adequate room for a marker.
Move Gwent's name to the left a bit, and Devon's should go up or down.
Remove the border between Somerset and Dorset, bringing your total back down to 42. You decide which name stays. :P
Uncurl London's Southwestern border so that it borders with Sussex.
Skew Durham's southern border southwest, so that it touches the easternmost point of Westmorland's border.
You'll probably also have to move the text of Cumberland a bit.

This will give you more room for numbers. While I'm giving my opinion, I'd go
Scotland=3
Ireland=3
Wales=5
Land's End=2
North=4
South=5

Unless you were going to add a river or something. Then those numbers would have to change. But anyhow, it's just my opinion, so what?

And for the record: I liked the first version better. I think it'd be interesting to see a map with LESS than 42.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Legionairre on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:06 pm

... GrimSleeper, that was extremely helpful. Thank you.
Cadet Legionairre

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:09 pm

About space problems, some options:

1) Remember, names dont need be in the center of the country. If it helps you, put name on the corner.
2) Use a smaller font for some names (you did it already, but some could be really smaller).
3) Put the name in the sea, near the coast of the country.
4) Change some borders... but dont exaggerate...
5) If nothing works, put the name with a color we can read under the text background; however, this is the worst option.

You will really have a problem with Somerset / Dorset. You can put Dorset name (or number) at the sea... bu Somerset will need a part of Devon Territory. London can take a part of Hampshire, or you can write its name in the sea (same as Durham). Write Gwent name at the corner of the territory. More problems??
Major Marvaddin

Postby Nobunaga on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:10 pm

... Sorry bout' that, GrimSleeper. I replied on my friend's ID. (Public Network).

... Thanks! I'll get to work on the map straight away - hope to have a new version by tonight. :)

Postby Nobunaga on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:18 pm

... You, too, Marvaddin. You guys are tops.

Next

Return to The Atlas